Sultans!

Any idea on Gender here? This chick is almost 7 weeks old (6 weeks in the pics) so it may still be too early to tell, but we're taking two others to a friend who are for sure roosters and I'm going to hold onto this one until I'm sure. The suspense is killing me!

The D'Uccle on the left was getting feisty. Uh oh!

I'm thinking male, but I wouldn't hesitate keeping him, because he's adorable.:)

I'm thinking male, but I wouldn't hesitate keeping him, because he's adorable.:)

I'm hoping pullet. This is my favorite chick but If it's a roo it has to go. No Roos allowed in city limits. :( (im in Charlotte, NC) luckily I have an awesome friend who runs a nearby farm that has agreed to take my Roos. I know they'll take good care of them but I was hoping more would be girls. One of our pullet Buff Orpingtons has turned roo on us already so we're down to 3 girls, 2 boys, and this unknown.

ETA: just curious what makes you think roo? The comb seems darker some days and lighter others? The first time I suspected was when it stood up to the D'Uccle and its neck feathers puffed up like that. Anything else I should watch for other that crowing or egg laying?

Last edited:
I'm hoping pullet. This is my favorite chick but If it's a roo it has to go. No Roos allowed in city limits. :( (im in Charlotte, NC) luckily I have an awesome friend who runs a nearby farm that has agreed to take my Roos. I know they'll take good care of them but I was hoping more would be girls. One of our pullet Buff Orpingtons has turned roo on us already so we're down to 3 girls, 2 boys, and this unknown.

ETA: just curious what makes you think roo? The comb seems darker some days and lighter others? The first time I suspected was when it stood up to the D'Uccle and its neck feathers puffed up like that. Anything else I should watch for other that crowing or egg laying?

Is it because of crowing? Because there are collars for that:).

He has a large comb for how young he is. My female sultan has the same sized one, but is a year old, and he was puffing out his neck feathers. You should watch for breeding, they'll try even at that age. Well, mine did.

Is it because of crowing? Because there are collars for that

He has a large comb for how young he is. My female sultan has the same sized one, but is a year old, and he was puffing out his neck feathers. You should watch for breeding, they'll try even at that age. Well, mine did.

Assuming breeding might include attempting to jump on/mount other chicks? These are my first chicks so I'm a real newbie here! Thanks!!

How cute! If I was GUESSING, and by no means do I know lol, I think I would say male on the Sultan. Just because it already has a darker, more reddish tint to its comb area & the top feathers are more "wild" looking. From what I've read, the females have a more "smoother" top. BUT yes, it's probably too early to tell ;)

Back
Top Bottom