Sumatra sexing?

We're they docile when they were young, then personalities changed? Mine are currently two months old and fall asleep on my lap until others jump up on my knees and wake them up...

They are typically wild from the time they hatch. If they are handled alot it'd probably make a difference.

They are typically wild from the time they hatch. If they are handled alot it'd probably make a difference.

That makes more sense...I was told that three out of the four breeds I am raising are naturally flighty, but one of those breeds actually jumps up and starts posing for pictures right in front of me and they sit on my lap to be petted(current photo, actually)...Another breed(the pullet) sits on my shoulder while I walk around đź’–

Granted, they may not be the same with others, but my ten year old son caught my Diaval easily(and carefully) and sat petting him as well...My kids were also able(with my guidance) to put a few of the younger chickies to sleep even! Like you said, that is with some handling, but mostly sitting with them while they eat and singing to them, to be honest...Almost every day

2020-09-28_12.26.34.jpg

One of my dozen or so...I am noticing that the ones that I am fairly certain are male have a bit more of a comb at the very top and their tails seem to curve upward a bit...I believe that the pullets aren't developing waddles either, while the roos are? Mine are 10 weeks old tomorrow. I ended up with what I believe to be significantly more roos than pullets in my lot, so some will be finding new homes.

Sumatras are not a docile breed. They act more like pheasants than chickens. In over 15 years breeding them I've never had one I'd call docile.
I have two blue Sumatrans that have been raised with a flock of Barnevelders and both seem docile to me (will run up to me before the others and will occasionally let me pick them up). Maybe the blues are less skittish than the blacks? Maybe these two think they are Barnies?

Back
Top Bottom