summer egg production (how reduced is normal?)

gadus

Songster
8 Years
Jul 28, 2015
Maine
I understand that the heat typically puts the damper on egg production but am wondering what percentage drop this typically translates to? I'm in Maine where the daytime temps are high 70s and low 80s, nights in the 50s. Soon to be 60s and 70s. Not super hot as summers go but definitely on the dry side.

My 17 hens, a mixed bag, have gone from 10-14/day to 7-10/day. Basically, I've lost a dozen or more eggs per week.

For whatever reason, the Americaunas seem to be the most consistent. Not high performers mind you but steady.

Additionally, though the eggs keep coming, it seems their food intake (and sometimes water) is off. A lot of feed left in the pan at night.

Any input most welcome.

How old are they? There a definitely season curves. Spring brings your best production. My birds are laying about a 1/3 of what they laid in spring. The younger hens are laying more consistent yet with the older birds mostly laying sporadically.

My feed consumption drops by half during warmer months due to ranging. Water consumption goes up and down based on temperatures. If they aren't laying, feed and water consumption will fall off a bit.

With chickens nothing stays consistent.

They are all about 1.4 yrs old. I no longer free-range them, though their run is maybe 2500 ft2. Shortly I will resume with artificial light.

FWIW, my count is down also. I will let it continue to drop a bit and then... start ramping up the light. I do have a couple of pullets laying now. (the ones from my own flock) But my heritage birds are not yet laying... though I am getting a couple of eggs that could be from one or more of them.

My 5 girls production went from 32/35 a week during their first winter/spring, down to as low 26/28 this summer. They have started a slow molt, that seems to be on hold, for the moment. Their feed consumption fell to about 1/3 of winter, early spring. Part of that is due to free ranging 2 hours before sunset daily, weather permitting. They are a sex-links type of chicken, 16 months old. GC

Yes indeed, the days started shortening after Solstice in June.
We've lost about 1.5 hours since then increasing exponentially each day.
I really start to notice it around August 1st(Lammas),
so do the birds.
My cockbird started molting a good couple weeks ago.
..and yes, egg production has dropped and unfortunately the pullets are quite a ways off from POL due to late hatching this year(wont do that again!)

Back
Top Bottom