Summer Heat & Baby chicks

momchick4

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 7, 2015
We are preparing to bring home some new babies soon. My 9 year old is in 4H and wants to raise a chicken for the fair. He has decided to purchase 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Ameraucanas from our local feed store. Once they grow he will show one of each breed at the fair.

Here is my question. Husband doesn't want the brooder in the house. We are in Fl and the screen patio reaches 100 degrees in the heat of the day. When he turns on the fan, it cools down to the low 90's. I am concerned the patio would be too hot and the fan would create a draft.

I currently have 6 hens and 5 pullets (6 months old) that reside on my parents property seven miles away. I am trying to raise the babies in the brooder at my house before we move them to their permanent coop at my parents. The purpose is so my son is interacting with them as much as possible so they get used to him.

Any suggestions?

Well you won't need any extra heat, you do like air circulation, you don't want a draft blowing right on them. I'm sure you could position the brooder so nothing is blowing directly on them, perhaps using something to block and redirect any air flow, you'll know if they are unhappy by the loud peeping and whether they are bunching or spread out, let the chicks behavior be your guide.

Thanks. The patio is the length of the house. He is going to place the fan on one side to prevent any drafts. We are getting the babies tomorrow so we can watch them closely all weekend.

The other thought is put them in the garage. Due to the direction the house faces, the garage is much cooler than the patio.

Last edited:
Which ever has good air circulation, you don't want stale air as they call it, I have never brooded in the house, out in an outside building they are, I start mine at 85 degrees, then lower by 5 a week, so whether you need to provide heat or not depends on your low temperatures, maybe at night, certainly a night light for a bit. Sounds like fun. Good luck.

Ok. We bought 4 chicks and somehow got talked into a Turkey poult too. Feed store said the turkey poult can eat the same starter feed. I am feeding Purina Start & Grow. It has 18% protein. After reading online, it says the turkey needs 28% protein. Is this correct?
Purina Flock raiser has 20%. Should I switch to that?

I have raised my poults on chick starter, despite being told they won't survive, mine do fine on chick starter, they thrive, so feel free to switch or just keep feeding what you have, the recommendations are higher protein for the first 4-6 weeks than to lower it. I have fed both ways, the higher protein gives you faster growth, but mine seem to grow just fine. Do you know if you have a broad breasted or a heritage variety.

The turkey poult is a Narragansett. Not familiar with turkeys. It wasn't planned. :-(
We went to pick them out and my son picked up the turkey. Once they told him it was a turkey, he still wanted her. The feed store assured us they could be raised together and eat the same feed. Dad agreed he could have it since the feed store said they would be ok together.
I only bought a 5lb bag of the medicated starter by Purina then planned on switching to non medicated. If I switch to Purina flock raiser, will the 20% protein hurt the chicks?

The chicks should really be on a starter grower because I think there's more than protein content to think about, you could put them all on a game bird starter, my poults have been on a chick starter from hatch, I really don't notice a difference, I have used game bird in the past, and have also used chick starter and I find there is no difference in the end. Hopefully your turkey will behave itself as it gets a bit older they can get a bit more rowdy, and confused about not being a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom