Super Easy Crock Pot Apple Butter

Quote:
I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I didn't know CRACKpots were on sale there; there are enough of them around here that I thought they were giving them away for free. I seem to be running into crackpots all the time...
wink.png

I canned about 20 quarts last month till I used all my apples we all love it, too bad I can't eat it (diabetic) but everyone else loves it

Quote:
I made all my jam this year with splenda and no sugar pectin. I am planning on no sugar apple butter. I made applesauce with splenda as well. The only thing about the no sugar jelly is that you need to stir it before you use it. It is a little softer set and the color and consitancy are a little different. Color not as vibrant as that is what real sugar ads. All that said, the end results are yummy and hardly any calories per serving. I know that splenda is a processed product but all things in moderation I say. Apple jelly would be just as easy with splena and I bet it would turn out great.

Just wanted to let you all know that I made the apple butter on Sunday. My house smelled so good!!

My DS has eaten about 1/2 the jar. It is so good on warm bread.

Thanks for the great recipe, that is easy to make!

Just a side note on the topic added here about canning your own pumpkin butter. I was in Williams Sonoma and they sell canned pumpkin butter and canned butternut squash puree. I know that commercial canners are different but the products were in glass jars and very dense looking.

Wonder what the diff would be to that VS home canning? Maybe they test the PH of every batch and adjust accordingly with acid additived to increase the acid to an appopriate level?

I am really tempted to try a small batch anyway and see how it comes out.

Wonder if that fruit fresh would add enough acidity to the pumpkin to keep the bacteria worry down? Don't have any so I have no ingredients to read but even some lemon should boost the acidity if that is the culprit for the bacteria. Seems if that is the problem and we bump up the acidity then problem solved....opinions?

Last edited:
good point, but I think we should check with our local extention offices to be sure, wouldn't want to risk it without being certain, for me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom