Super Easy Crock Pot Apple Butter

Ok, all you pumpkin butter fans out there!! I just got off the phone with the University Extension Center of Missouri..."THERE IS NO SAFE WAY TO MAKE PUMPKIN BUTTER OR TO CAN PUMPKIN". I asked her if fruit fresh/vinegar or lemon juice could be added? she searched everywhere...meaning, the Ball Book, and lots of extension centers on line,outside of Missouri and the USDA. She said there is just not a safe way.
I then asked her if you could make the pumpkin butter with half apples and fruit fresh..........she wondered herself. She cannot say yes as all the resources available to her say no. But I am wondering if it would work. she said the reason for not canning it says it has to do with the thickness as well as the acidity level as pumpkin without promotes a bacterial growth that she could not even pronounce. ha I told her if she couldn't pronounce it then I certainly wouldn't know what it was! I also asked her about all the apple butters our forefather's produced? She said, they experienced a high risk of severe illness. She said if there was something you could subsitute it would have been in her resources. So make it at your own risk.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I didn't know CRACKpots were on sale there; there are enough of them around here that I thought they were giving them away for free. I seem to be running into crackpots all the time...
wink.png

Please forgive me but I missed this post the first time around...I have tears running down my face. So funny, but again, apologies to to o.p.

I'm still on the fence about this pumpkin butter issue.

DH pointed out that we baked our pumpkin before we put it through the Sauce Master, then boiled it for hours. So ours was cooked twice! He asks every older Southern woman he sees about this, and they all say not to worry.

All the pumpkin butter sites I found said it could be in the fridge for up to 6-weeks unsealed, so we put our water-bath sealed jars in the fridge. And will be gobbling it up before the 6-weeks is up. It's really spicy and soooo good!

And I will make more, for sure. I'm just going to bake the pumpkin and freeze bags of pulp. Then I can make small batches of butter all winter long for my own consumption and to share with local friends (who all loved my spicy pumpkin butter!).

Wegotchickens, I agree that your idea is the best. I imagine that no matter how long you process your pumpkim, sounds like it is too risky. Making small batches at a time is the best. I often freeze my pumpkin and squash until I have time to deal with it. The best pumpkin I have found are called Princess pumpkins. They are deeply scalloped like Cindarellas carriage and have a deep orange flesh. They are really thick walled and large. I have gotten them the last two years at Safeway. This year they were 5 dollars each but they weigh at least 30 lbs so that is cheap for squash in our area. The flavor is terrific and it make great pumpkin puree or just to eat. I bought 4 this year and they are in my garage until I have time to cut them up and freeze them. I boil them in sections until just before fork tender. Then I just bag them up and whenever I want to make soup, pumpkin bread or what ever, I just thaw, then puree in food processor until smooth and creamy. I can't wait to try pumpkin butter.

Quote:
I wonder how Libby does it then? Maybe we should email the company to ask their secrets to their canned pumpkin...maybe they could tell us how canned pumpkin can be made into pumpkin butter safely.
I made the apple butter a few weeks ago...put them in swing top antique ball jars (whoo whee those rubber seals were tough to find) and canned them in my pressure cooker for better seal. I made 8 jars...all gone!!
lol.png

I think Libby and the rest of them use the stuff we can't pronouce
big_smile.png
I am still wondering how it would work with part apples in it and the fruit fresh as Deb suggested?

Last edited:
Quote:
Because very little of Libbey's canned pumpkin puree is actually pumpkin. It is mostly squash with immitation pumpkin flavors added.

I go to the pumpkin patch and get the cinderella pie pumpkins somebody else mentioned. These are the original pie pumkins and are fantastic. I slice mine in half, and clean out seeds, and then lay cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet. I usually bake at 350 degrees for just a little over an hour or until a butter knife easily penetrates the skin.

The juices will be flowing clear when they are done also. Let them cool down a bit, and then process in a food processor and be sure to add the juice back in. I then freeze it until I need to bake breads and pies.

This is wonderful pumpkin when done this way!
I wonder how Libby does it then? Maybe we should email the company to ask their secrets to their canned pumpkin...maybe they could tell us how canned pumpkin can be made into pumpkin butter safely.
I made the apple butter a few weeks ago...put them in swing top antique ball jars (whoo whee those rubber seals were tough to find) and canned them in my pressure cooker for better seal. I made 8 jars...all gone!!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom