Super sweet but NOISY geese..

featherz

Veggie Chick
13 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Saratoga County, NY
Hey guys! I had a few geese in my order of chicks this year - was hoping maybe would help as guard geese, if I was lucky. One is a white chinese and the other is an african. No idea on gender, but I am reasonably sure the african is male (nose pointing up allll the time, heavy build). The chinese not sure on as the knob is still kinda small, but as there is no hanky panky going on I am assuming it is also male. They are 4.5 months old. They are super sweet for geese. :p

I expected loud noise, and intermittent noise is fine, all my neighbors have roosters and really loud turkeys and we had someone down the street with about 10 geese. But my geese screech all morning and most of the afternoon.. If I am out there they may quiet a bit so they can gnaw on my shoes, but for the most part they are running around yelling. Are they bored? upset there are no ladies? exuberance of youth? They have food/grass/water to swim in, a large area to roam, and they seem to hang with the chickens fine - they go into the coop with them every evening.

I am hoping the neighbors will not be over soon with pitchforks or I may need to rehome them. Thankfully they are quiet at night!

Any ideas or is this just how it is?

From what I've read in here, Chinese geese can be noisier and chattier than other breeds. I've never had any, so this is not from personal experience.

My own geese are way noisier during the fall months. I gather it's some migration instinct - calling out to the flock to keep everyone together before they leave, or perhaps general excitement before the trip. I've observed this with all my geese. So yours may quiet down soon.

The rest of the year people are always surprised when they realize I still have my geese ("But we never hear them?"). Right now EVERYONE knows EXACTLY where they are ...

Oh man my Chinese Geese were the noisiest darn things. Wound up getting rid of them. Sorry that I am not of any help. Hopefully they'll quiet down for you!

Oddly enough the chinese is less screamy than the african. they both 'talk' all the time but the chinese will shut up and hang around me quietly when I am out there. The african will keep going full scream.. Good to know that it could be a fall thing and maybe age and season could help. I didn't get geese expecting quiet- I hoped they would be noisy enough if needed but I keep worrying that a) they aren't happy and b) neighbors will burn my house down. :p
1601666979642.png

Being less noisy may be a sign that the one is female, but it’s not a guarantee, they all have different personalities. As for “hanky panky” you’ll get that wether you have two ganders or two girls. Those horomones start up and nobody cares who or what everyone else is.

Well, both are bobbing their heads at me so I assumed they were ready for the ol' hanky panky.

So far they seem completely disinterested in each other other than walking in lock step- being used to chickens I just assumed they were the same gender.. Based on the very little I know, the african is almost certainly a boy - he's bigger, louder, and sticks his nose up most of the time while walking (which is hilarious!)

No matter, I like them either way - just want them to chill even for a minute. :)

1601749033900.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom