Supposed to be Black Copper Marans

AthenaT

Chirping
Mar 11, 2015
Port Richey Florida
This is not a very good picture Raven is a very pretty black(with beautiful shimmers of green blue and purple) pullet with feathered feet, She however has not developed any copper coloring whatsoever Both her and the Oliver Egger Buffy I purchased have not settled down much in the 2 month I have had them and the rest of my mixed breed "krewe" chase them off even now. Both should lay late July or early August. Do I stand much of a chance of getting the dark chocolate eggs I was hoping for from Buffy ?

Last edited:
This is not a very good picture Raven is a very pretty black(with beautiful shimmers of green blue and purple) pullet with feathered feet, She however has not developed any copper coloring whatsoever Both her and the Oliver Egger Buffy I purchased have not settled down much in the 2 month I have had them and the rest of my mixed breed "krewe" chase them off even now. Both should lay late July or early August. Do I stand much of a chance of getting the dark chocolate eggs I was hoping for from Buffy ?
You have me a bit confused here. If I understand you correctly, Buffy is your Olive Egger and Raven is your Black Copper Marans. This being the case, Raven is the pullet who will lay dark chocolate eggs for you; not Buffy. Being an Olive Egger, Buffy will lay olive green eggs.

Unless you got Raven from a breeder, few hatchery Marans lay eggs any darker than a RIR...sorry.

Yes Buffy is the olive egged and Raven the Black chicken...I was asking because Raven does not have the expected coloring

Given the feathering on the legs, I think Raven is a BCM but looks like a hatchery quality BCM. If so, Briggadane may be right about the shade of her brown eggs. I've had some dark brown eggs from hatchery Marans, but others were not much darker than an RIR egg.

I did get Raven (and Buffy) from a back yard breeder but I noticed that she did not seem to keep the breeds well separated. Even if I do not get the DARK chocolate eggs from her I will be ok with it...she is beautiful and so iridescent. I was Told Buffy's eggs will be anywhere from lime green to olive green and that ok for me too...I just like a colorful egg basket

Back
Top Bottom