Supposedly a blue partridge brahma

HeiHei3

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2023
I was told I have a blue Partridge brahma. It’s supposed to be a hen so we can lay eggs for me however, I’m kind of worried because I got two chicks that were hatched on the same day. But my blue partridge is significantly bigger. I am new to chickens. This is the first two I have ever had. I did hear that you are able to tell the gender by the color of the feathers coming in. Are you able to tell whether my blue cartridge is a boy or a girl?

Attachments

• IMG_6293.jpeg
    IMG_6293.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6299.jpeg
    IMG_6299.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6290.png
    IMG_6290.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6300.jpeg
    IMG_6300.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
I was told I have a blue Partridge brahma. It’s supposed to be a hen so we can lay eggs for me however, I’m kind of worried because I got two chicks that were hatched on the same day. But my blue partridge is significantly bigger. I am new to chickens. This is the first two I have ever had. I did hear that you are able to tell the gender by the color of the feathers coming in. Are you able to tell whether my blue cartridge is a boy or a girl?
So, egg size has a lot more to do with chick size than gender does until they actually start growing out, instead, watch the demeanor, rowdy, flighty and prone to have little sparring contests or more likely to eat and scratch about the brooder and friendly/calm?

Could I perhaps see some comparison pictures with the others, and where did you get them?

Brahmas are a decent size breed so depending on what breed the other one is I wouldn't use size to determine anything.
It's also not feathered out enough to tell much but kind of looking like a Partridge instead of a blue Partridge.
Once the breast area starts feathering in it'll be easier to judge gender.

It is too early to determine the gender of the chick. What you need to watch is the feathers coming in at the breast. Solid black feathers in that area will indicate a male, feathers like the rest of the body will indicate a female.

I wouldn't worry about the size of the chicks at this point. I do think you may have regular partridge Brahmas rather than blue partridge, but that could just be the picture making it look that way.

Brahmas are a decent size breed so depending on what breed the other one is I wouldn't use size to determine anything.
It's also not feathered out enough to tell much but kind of looking like a Partridge instead of a blue Partridge.
Once the breast area starts feathering in it'll be easier to judge gender.
Same exact thoughts here. If I'd seen your reply I wouldn't have needed to post because it's just a repeat of everything you wrote.

Same exact thoughts here. If I'd seen your reply I wouldn't have needed to post because it's just a repeat of everything you wrote.
Welcome to my world.
I usually show up after you've posted and am like... nothing I can add, I'm out.

Could I perhaps see some comparison pictures with the others, and where did you get them?
This is the size difference. That other chick is suppose to be a buff lace brahma ..

Attachments

• IMG_6316.jpeg
    IMG_6316.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
This is the size difference. That other chick is suppose to be a buff lace brahma ..
How old are they and where did you get them? I really am thinking that you just have a plus size baby that came out of a big egg, the feathers look hen like to me, and for whatever reason, Brahmas are normally really small as chicks for as big as they get, so you could just have a big baby.

How old are they and where did you get them? I really am thinking that you just have a plus size baby that came out of a big egg, the feathers look hen like to me, and for whatever reason, Brahmas are normally really small as chicks for as big as they get, so you could just have a big baby.
I got them from this hatchery farm here in California. I just know we can’t keep a rooster so I’m worried . The partridge is feathering super fast. I wasn’t sure if these were signs. Cause the buff lace barely has feathers.. I guess I will have to wait and see . They hatched on Oct 30th . So. Not even 4 weeks lol I’m impatient sorry ahhaa since I’ve gotten them I have been doing so much research

Back
Top Bottom