surprise chicks...any guesses?

kahlua

Songster
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
NJ
I got Ideal's surprise special today. I can ID a few of the chicks but would love some input on the rest.
The pics were taken as I was pulling them out of the box so some are a little droopy. But all seem to be doing okay now.

1 & 2
There are 2 that look like this, I'm assuming they are the same breed.

3. Blue chick - blue legs - straight comb, maybe a blue andalusian?

#4.

#5. There are a few of these. They look bigger than the others. Buff orp maybe?

#7 Blue Cochin...

#8 silver laced wyandotte maybe? there are several of these.

#10 production black?

#11 - this one is mostly white with a reddish head. Pictured on the left in the pic below.

The whole gang - they weren't packed unevenly like this, I was just going through them taking pictures.

There are also a few that I think are black australorps.

I got Ideal's surprise special today. I can ID a few of the chicks but would love some input on the rest.
The pics were taken as I was pulling them out of the box so some are a little droopy. But all seem to be doing okay now.

1 & 2
There are 2 that look like this, I'm assuming they are the same breed. Gold Sebrights

3. Blue chick - blue legs - straight comb, maybe a blue andalusian? I agree with this guess

#4. Tough one. Maybe a Dark Cornish?

#5. There are a few of these. They look bigger than the others. Buff orp maybe? Yes

#6 Silver Sebright

#7 Blue Cochin... Yes

#8 silver laced wyandotte maybe? there are several of these. Yup

#9 Tough one, Production Red?

#10 production black? That'd be my guess too. Black SL

#11 - this one is mostly white with a reddish head. Pictured on the left in the pic below. I think see chipmunk cheeks. If so, it's likely an EE.

The whole gang - they weren't packed unevenly like this, I was just going through them taking pictures.

There are also a few that I think are black australorps.

Thanks!
For the sebrights - it was the standard breed special, would they send bantams?? I sure hope they're something else...LOL

That's interesting. They're definitely laced, but I can't think of anything that a hatchery would sell in Standard size that looks like that as a chick. Maybe some sort of standard sized OEGs that they've developed (I don't think Laced is a standardized color for them though. Unusual).

Why don't you give the hatchery a call and see what might be in the surprise. They do look an awful lot like sebrights.

what about silver spangled hamburg for 6

SilverSpangledHamburgsCkB.jpg

in the end it will also depend on the combs

3. blue andalusian
4. golden laced wyandotte or Golden Lakenvelder
5. bo
6. silver spangled hamburg
7. blue cochin
8. silver laced wyandotte
10. i was thinking either jg or ba due to leg color i havent seen a sex link with black legs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom