Surprise! Cuckoo Marans instead of Ply Barred Rock?

Dutchess

Songster
11 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Maine ~ 4 chicken years
Can someone tell me when Cuckoo Marans usually start to lay? I have two that, according to the seller, were Plymouth Barred Rocks and are about 25-28 week old. They turned out to be Cuckoo Marans (white legs) and I wouldn't be surprised if they were a little younger than stated
hmm.png
. Their combs and waddles are just barely pink and not very big either. Thank you in advance!

My Cuckoo Marans started laying at 19 weeks....I bought what I thought was 10 Cuckoo Marans...and was surprised to find that 3 of my girls are Barred Rocks....they have the yellow legs:) Wanna trade? hehehe
ya.gif

I wish I had Marans. I picked up (what I was told) were Cuckoo Marans, turned out to be Barred Rocks. Nice birds, but the eggs are waaaay different. Oh, well, live & learn. Hatchery birds are not always what they should be.

I got surprise BCM in a hatchery assortment. They didn't tell me what any of them were, and this breed was unfamiliar to me. All of a sudden I started getting these GORGEOUS dark brown eggs and figured out what they were.

You should expect them to lay any time now, however the comb/wattles makes it sound like you'll probably need to wait another week or two, sorry.

Thank you all for your replies! I am looking forward to the dark brown eggs, and the pullets seem to be nice birds. They have been with me about 6 weeks and the "seller" told me they should be starting to lay in about a week or so...so six weeks later?
hmm.png

Live and learn! One of my fav sayings. Thanks again everyone and happy egging!

Back
Top Bottom