Surrogate hen with lonely baby chick

aliciaschicks

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 27, 2014
I was wondering if anyone had some insight for me;
I only hatched one chick from multiple mail order eggs...
The baby was so lonely the first night that I took one of my 5 month old hens ( silkie bantam) from the coop and brought her inside.
I made a good size pen and put them together. After an hour she took the bird under her wing and lays there all day with this chick. She only gets up when someone goes and visits them.
My concern is that I read that people have had hens kill the chicks.
She hasn't shown any aggression to this chick but she is not broody.
Is it safe to keep her there or should I just remove her and keep him alone under a brooder ? Also, is it safe to put the silkie in the yard for a few hours a day just to have her legs stretched and have time away from the chick for a few hours?

I have had lots of success with surrogate silkies. If she hasn't killed the chick as of yet, I don't think she will. I wouldn't separate mama and chick. Is she keeping the chick warm under her feathers and sitting with her? If she is I think she will continue to care for the chick. Good luck! :)

Thank you for your help. She is taking wonderful care of her new baby. I put her out in the yard temporarily to socialize without the chick and she spent 15 min searching for it before I brought her back inside :) you were right! Ty again

Back
Top Bottom