Surviving Minnesota!

What's your guys opinions on insulating coops?

I believe in insulating the roof for sure to hold down any chicken generated warmth.

I did do this Reflectix stuff in my coop to see about using the sunshine to gently warm the coop. it did not overheat it last winter and I LIKED that about it. I will tell you that last winter was my first winter with it. And...last winter really wasn't a good test of it. It was so mild and really I didn't get a good feel on how it made a difference on cold cold days/weeks. I'll give a good solid opinion after another winter of it.

It's like silver bubble wrap. Got it at Home Depot. the reason I insulate is because my first winter ...EVERY DAY...every. Started at -20 below. Not very nice for extended periods of time on birds, my feeling. If it's just a week of -20...I think the birds can handle no insulation and no heat.

HI..

I have to confess I did not win fairly on the first post of the day. I sent it from the ER. I Woke to find Judy on the floor of the bathroom at 1. She said she laid down so she didn't fall down. She did not pass out, but said the room was spinning and she was getting weak.

I was in the ER until 8. She is home now, in bed, they do not know what was wrong with her. Her white count is high they did a ton of tests and X-rays and found nothing. Some of the tests take days to come back.

Other than that nothing much going on.

The Socially inept little BA rooster named "Pat" is no more, he is cooling his heels in Mom's Fridge today. There should be much less drama in the rooster pen today.

I believe in insulating the roof for sure to hold down any chicken generated warmth. I did do this Reflectix stuff in my coop to see about using the sunshine to gently warm the coop. it did not overheat it last winter and I LIKED that about it. I will tell you that last winter was my first winter with it. And...last winter really wasn't a good test of it. It was so mild and really I didn't get a good feel on how it made a difference on cold cold days/weeks. I'll give a good solid opinion after another winter of it. It's like silver bubble wrap. Got it at Home Depot. the reason I insulate is because my first winter ...EVERY DAY...every. Started at -20 below. Not very nice for extended periods of time on birds, my feeling. If it's just a week of -20...I think the birds can handle no insulation and no heat.
I have some of that in my coop! I think it makes it look like a spaceship :p

I have some of that in my coop! I think it makes it look like a spaceship
tongue.png

It does not make for a warm earthy feeling in the coop does it?!
tongue.png
Yeah...If I like it after another winter and decide to keep it....maybe I'll do something to it to warm it up like contact paper or something like that.

My dad was thinking about insulating the roof, and sheet rocking and insulating one side that has a bunch of cracks and poor siding

One thing about insulating...is that it creates a space for mousies. And I will tell you that I tear out the fiberglass insulation in my roof about every other year. And yep...sure enough there's a mouse nest or two. Totally gross. I'm not sure I would got to the length of sheet rock and such...but to each their own. I'm not a very good builder so I have cracks and crevices in my coop aka Mouse access. Your coop maybe more solid than mine.

I am going to stick to my non-insulated door open to the outside coop. I will try to keep the birds lower, to help keep them out of moisture. But I prefer them being cold to having a chance of moisture building up. They have down jackets and can cuddle for warmth..

I know a cold attitude (pun intended)

Back
Top Bottom