Surviving Minnesota!

HI..

I have to confess I did not win fairly on the first post of the day. I sent it from the ER. I Woke to find Judy on the floor of the bathroom at 1. She said she laid down so she didn't fall down. She did not pass out, but said the room was spinning and she was getting weak.

I was in the ER until 8. She is home now, in bed, they do not know what was wrong with her. Her white count is high they did a ton of tests and X-rays and found nothing. Some of the tests take days to come back.

Other than that nothing much going on.

The Socially inept little BA rooster named "Pat" is no more, he is cooling his heels in Mom's Fridge today. There should be much less drama in the rooster pen today.

I am sorry to hear about Judy!!! I hope they can shed some light on what happened!! You know I know what you are going through. Wish her well from me.

My dad was thinking about insulating the roof, and sheet rocking and insulating one side that has a bunch of cracks and poor siding

I would avoid sheetrock in a coop. It will absorb moisture when it is present and then you will have mold issues and a mess to redo.
I have my big coop/barn that is sided on the outside of the framing and then OSB on the inside, so a double wall. No insulation. It is also open with 4 huge windows to the south year around, so obviously no heat. The style is called an Open Air design and it uses the sun to help keep the temps up and the way it is oriented with the windows to the south, there is no drafts coming in any of the other sides. I do have a roof ridge vent of sorts and that stinks because snow and rain sometime blow in there and get in the pens. I intend to fix that before winter.
The biggest thing is good ventilation without drafts, AND keep the coop DRY!!!!

Husband is a carpenter and also does Spray Foam insulation so wouldn't you know that our coop is spray foamed! No mice getting in there! The coop doors are open all the time right now and we have a vent in the walk-in door at the top. I think it will do just fine. Plus the long narrow window is facing south so I am sure the sun will help. Right now there are 40 birds in there so I don't think there will be any lack of finding a snuggle buddy if needed.

Hello everyone, glad to recognize a few names still since I've last been on this site. This is a new account however.

My "update" might give away who I actually am.

Since the gf and I have bought our first flock last spring we have survived the winter, kept our flock healthy and safe (haven't lost a bird yet.) We went from 17 to 43 birds due to 4 mind you 4 broodies. Most of the pullets are spoken for thankfully and are getting ready for pickup (1 week out.)

Thd rooster I picked up from Erlibrd is doing wonderful and has been the nicest roo we could have asked for. Hasn't been aggresive towards anyone and keeps a watchful eye over his girls.

Farming has been going strong and we have just wrapped up our wheat harvest. Everything is in the bins and ready to be moved this winter.

This spring the gf and I bought goats. 6 doe Boer goats(mine aka the money makers) and 2 pygmies(hers aka the cute and playful ones.)

We recently bought the neighbors property adjacent to ours and planning on planting alfalfa there this fall. Our home is called Oakridge Ranch. I wanted to get pigs so we could call Chicken Bacon Ranch but the gf isnt on board with that yet
1f609.png

Maybe thats enough info for some of you too guess who I am!!
1f600.png

Hi Oakridge
Nice to hear the rooster is a good one, welcome back!
Would love to see pics of the goats :)

Today we are at my parents so I had unfair advantage in waking up early. They consider 5:30 sleeping in. Today we will be putting my dad's antique Johnny poppers in a parade. Should be fun as the grandkids will be throwing candy from a manure spreader.

Back
Top Bottom