Surviving Minnesota!

I have saved my first hatching eggs of the season.

I have my fingers crossed they will be fertile.

I also have made a choice in PC roosters, without the help of the experts, so it is subject to change. I need holm to get me some decent pictures. Otherwise, I am breeding ED to an old hen and a pullet. I am breeding Weinerhead to an old hen and 2 pullets. I am so happy with the penciling I have from the offspring of the PC's I got from EJB I want to continue that and cement it in the females.

My only disappointment was the size of my roosters (which is partially age) and the chest not being "bay" enough with a tad of red. I think by using Weinerhead I can limit that, he is the darkest largest framed bird.

I have decided to split my SS also. I am going to use my old rooster on a hen and pullets and a young rooster with less banding and a lower tail angle on others.

I am not sure but I may split the Doms into two groups also. I like two of the roosters, one has better body type (marginally) but has bad barring on wings. The other has better comb and no whitening of the barring. The one without the whitening is the one the Judge liked in New Ulm, I did not show the other because he is a bellybutton, but I like his body type. I just hope his kids are not bellybuttons like he is.

As far as regular eggs go, I am ticked at my layers. They had almost 40 hours locked in the coop and run. I got 1 egg from 25 birds. I have around 30 Legbar hens they did way better, they gave me 4 eggs.

I might have to go to all Yokohama's. At least 50% of them gave me an egg. Even if it is robin sized.

Very entertaining day here. Judy and the turkeys are arguing over who's deck it is. She is serious now, she is out there with a broom... I have to watch it, I got yelled at for snickering.....

Picture time:

Snitch looking into the house to see what is happening, this little event set off the war today..

Below is Weinerhead . I had to lighten the pictures one shade so you could see the color lines/difference he is not quite as red as shown.

The first profile picture shows his markings but not his body shape well the last two show body shape,

He was dancing for his mother too, isn't that sweet.

Picture time: Snitch looking into the house to see what is happening, this little event set off the war today.. Below is Weinerhead . I had to lighten the pictures one shade so you could see the color lines/difference he is not quite as red as shown. The first profile picture shows his markings but not his body shape well the last two show body shape, He was dancing for his mother too, isn't that sweet.
I will have to show my dad these pictures to be like hey building a cochin pen and coop doesn't take that much! Is the PVC pipe a feeder? I like the idea of the barrel over it!

The PC feeders is a thing in the works.

I am trying to figure out the best "cover" for them. I am trying several different designs on the barrels to keep rain and snow out. I am also working on a pan of some kind under them. I. like BC, get tired of throwing out hundreds of pounds of uneaten food.

I actually pile the stuff outside so they can scratch through it again and eat more of it. I have even thought about letting their feeders go empty for a few days to force them to eat the old good stuff!

My birds are way too spoiled.

That coop is just a box I build on a pallet so I can move it with pallet forks easily.

Last edited:
I have saved my first hatching eggs of the season.

I have my fingers crossed they will be fertile.

I also have made a choice in PC roosters, without the help of the experts, so it is subject to change. I need holm to get me some decent pictures. Otherwise, I am breeding ED to an old hen and a pullet. I am breeding Weinerhead to an old hen and 2 pullets. I am so happy with the penciling I have from the offspring of the PC's I got from EJB I want to continue that and cement it in the females.

My only disappointment was the size of my roosters (which is partially age) and the chest not being "bay" enough with a tad of red. I think by using Weinerhead I can limit that, he is the darkest largest framed bird.

I have decided to split my SS also. I am going to use my old rooster on a hen and pullets and a young rooster with less banding and a lower tail angle on others.

I am not sure but I may split the Doms into two groups also. I like two of the roosters, one has better body type (marginally) but has bad barring on wings. The other has better comb and no whitening of the barring. The one without the whitening is the one the Judge liked in New Ulm, I did not show the other because he is a bellybutton, but I like his body type. I just hope his kids are not bellybuttons like he is.

As far as regular eggs go, I am ticked at my layers. They had almost 40 hours locked in the coop and run. I got 1 egg from 25 birds. I have around 30 Legbar hens they did way better, they gave me 4 eggs.

I might have to go to all Yokohama's. At least 50% of them gave me an egg. Even if it is robin sized.

Very entertaining day here. Judy and the turkeys are arguing over who's deck it is. She is serious now, she is out there with a broom... I have to watch it, I got yelled at for snickering.....
so fun that some of you will be setting eggs soon! i cant wait for chick pics!!!

Slow getter uppers today?

Looks like we might get rain this afternoon, so I should get everything done early today.

Erlibrd stopped here late yesterday afternoon. I gave her a chance to walk through the bombing area to pick out a bird (or three). She did well, I think she got out of it without getting bombed once.

Morning . We got 6-8 inches of wet snow . Melting today . High of 38 . My chickens are slackers . 6 eggs in 2 days . Lights are on so they should pick up the pace soon . Need to get some turnips and radishes pulled . Frozen ground coming soon .

Back
Top Bottom