Surviving Minnesota!

Logged in as my little brother AGAIN!
he.gif
th.gif
sickbyc.gif
Not that LITTLE.
somad.gif

Hello "Surviving MN"! I am an original Northdakotan - lived in MN for 4 years - and just moved back to ND with 65+ beef cows; 15 chickens; 5 barn cats; a dog, horse, and husband
ya.gif

The North Dakota board is a little slow; and I have been *DROOLING* over some hatchery magazines I just got and have a few questions for some peeps!

Whom has bantams? I had a pair (Serema/Banty cross) this summer - lost the hen to broodiness --- And unfortunately just lost my little roo --- to the cold. Soooooo. Anyone have any luck with cochin banties??? I am thinking of getting some but don't want to set myself up for some sadness if they are going to croak the first time the temps drop. I'm thinking the profusion of feathers would help them with the cold? Or whats some thoughts on that. I'm not opposed to doing a little special treatment - BUT - also leery of heat lamps etc as we do have a history of having extended (up to 5 days) power outages due to weather.

Also wondering about the hardiness of the Salmon Faverolle??

What are some of your guys' hardy - yet - "cool" breeds? Post some pics! Thanks for the help!

(Also - note - relatively 'new' to the chicken thing! Still learning and stalking BYC for info. But there's just soooo much!!! So feel free to point me to other forums etc etc)

Last edited:
Hello "Surviving MN"! I am an original Northdakotan - lived in MN for 4 years - and just moved back to ND with 65+ beef cows; 15 chickens; 5 barn cats; a dog, horse, and husband :ya   

The North Dakota board is a little slow; and I have been *DROOLING* over some hatchery magazines I just got and have a few questions for some peeps!

Whom has bantams? I had a pair (Serema/Banty cross) this summer - lost the hen to broodiness --- And unfortunately just lost my little roo --- to the cold. Soooooo. Anyone have any luck with cochin banties??? I am thinking of getting some but don't want to set myself up for some sadness if they are going to croak the first time the temps drop. I'm thinking the profusion of feathers would help them with the cold? Or whats some thoughts on that. I'm not opposed to doing a little special treatment - BUT - also leery of heat lamps etc as we do have a history of having extended (up to 5 days) power outages due to weather. 

Also wondering about the hardiness of the Salmon Faverolle??

What are some of your guys' hardy - yet - "cool" breeds? Post some pics! Thanks for the help!

(Also - note - relatively 'new' to the chicken thing! Still learning and stalking BYC for info. But there's just soooo much!!! So feel free to point me to other forums etc etc)

My Cochin Bantam, who is a frizzle is my hardiest bantam. I'm keeping him just cause he's nice to use for showmanship in 4H, and he knows a few tricks.
When I had salmon faverolles they were very hardy. No problem whatsoever. Very grumpy birds though
1f602.png

I am actually not really pleased with 1/2 of the breeds I have had so far. The Leghorns are a no for next year, along with red sex links, their combs and wattles grew a bunch and now I'm babying their combs and wattles. The Easter Eggers aren't bad but out of my 7 EEs I'm getting 1 egg a day with artificial lighting.
My 1 Chantecler, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and 1 Barred Plymouth Rock lay almost every day right now.
Along with my LF Cochins.

My Cochin Bantam, who is a frizzle is my hardiest bantam. I'm keeping him just cause he's nice to use for showmanship in 4H, and he knows a few tricks.
When I had salmon faverolles they were very hardy. No problem whatsoever. Very grumpy birds though
1f602.png

I am actually not really pleased with 1/2 of the breeds I have had so far. The Leghorns are a no for next year, along with red sex links, their combs and wattles grew a bunch and now I'm babying their combs and wattles. The Easter Eggers aren't bad but out of my 7 EEs I'm getting 1 egg a day with artificial lighting.
My 1 Chantecler, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and 1 Barred Plymouth Rock lay almost every day right now.
Along with my LF Cochins.

Thanks!! That's super helpful, I'll keep that info in mind when I make my purchases - I have only Easter Egger/Americana mutts now and they are holding a strike ... something about "No Heat? No Eggs!", or at least I think that's what they wrote in the dust of the coop window haha.
roll.png

When you say "grumpy"....?? Like they were flighty? Or pecked? Or what.

Thanks!! That's super helpful, I'll keep that info in mind when I make my purchases - I have only Easter Egger/Americana mutts now and they are holding a strike ... something about "No Heat? No Eggs!", or at least I think that's what they wrote in the dust of the coop window haha. :rolleyes:

When you say "grumpy"....?? Like they were flighty? Or pecked? Or what.

Just mean faced scowl, avoided me and other chickens stuck together. Kind of mean to the smaller birds.

@EMorical Welcome to the thread. and BYC I see you do not have a lot of posts under your belt. We can change that for you.

I hatch a LOT of eggs. I have a fair number of birds. I am not going to get anymore single combs. (maybe).

I am finding the legbars while cute, and having great blue eggs are suffering the most damage to the combs. The SS seem to be standing up pretty good in the cold, but King George was winter trimmed pretty badly last winter.

The bird that surprises me is the Applttiniis! Aplehasuner Spritzinbabamers or however it is spelled. They are a small bird and cute as can be with their little feathered crowns. They are outside and the weather does not seem to faze them a bit. They have a three sided covered windbreak and a coop to go into and they stay right out in the cold doing whatever it is they do.

Those Swiss know how to breed a tough bird. I have yet to get an egg from them but it is early. They have no combs to freeze so that makes them cool too.

The Yokohamas gave me an egg today, it went into the hatching pile. It is the first one I have saved to hatch, but they are so small I worry the bird will be a dwarf (is that PC?)

I am not sure what size the eggs are suppose to be when they are able to hatch but I have gotten about 2 dozen from them so they should be Ok,,,,(maybe) We will know in 3-4 weeks.

I should head to bed, but the pain pills have not kicked in...BC the steroids to the knee did not work.

When I made the nest box for the toads I had it at 14 inches I think it was. but I left the end able to be swung open incase it was too small. They have opened it to about 18 inches now and it still looks tight for them. Them is some BIG gals!

Good Morning Chickeners . . . .

Welcome to bigfoot11. ISanti is a skip, hop and jump from me and from Ralphie. Is that the still in the banana belt Ralphie?

Jerrsyse - I just turned 65! I highly recommend it. Many, many benefits and so far, the best time of my life! Not that there are any other best times . . . . I was
not expecting to be so happy to be this age.
Thank you!I How far is a skip, hop and a jump?

Coming from an OLD,turning 28 on Thursday kid, 65 is the equivalent to 30. You have many more great years!
Ralphie, I thought for sure that "Bigfoot 11" was on of your Togo renters! But, alas he is another suburbanite. Is anyone other than me tired of seeing these AARP solicitations in the mail?

65? I always tell people that I think I look pretty darn good for a guy who is 98!! Ralphie is the only one of this group who could comment, and it is my wish that he keep his opinion to himself !!

The sun has finally come out and last I looked it was + 5 degrees. Please Gore and O'Bama bring back the global warming you pikers !! Better get the smudge pots ready Ralphie or the coconut crop may be damaged by frost?
Ahhhh yes, another suburbanite on the forums. I have creep'd for awhile and now decided to join in on the chaos! ;)

Back
Top Bottom