Surviving Minnesota!

Good morning all. Sorry to hear about Zeus.

Welcome to the thread newbies. We are enjoying about 3-4 inches of white fluff in Benton County. Husband took our son and his godson to monster truck show. Now I have 2 boys revving it up in high gear.
The ladies are down a little in egg production but I also adjusted their lights to 13 hours.

Pita (the SS Rooster from ralphie) is doing wonderful. He respects humans or shall I say he is scared of humans after his little encounter with my daughter. He is a great addition to the flock as he is not an aggressive teen male. But he keeps the hen squabbles and pecking down.

Sexing these younger birds.
I think I'm correct on everything just want to confirm my guesses

Barred Rock x Chantecler
Cockerel

Easter Egger x 1/2 Chantecler 1/2 White Californian
Cockerel

White Californian x Chantecler
Pullet

Easter Egger x White Californian
Pullet

Barred Rock x Chantecler
Pullet

Barred Rock x Chantecler
Pullet

Last edited:
Sexing these younger birds.
I think I'm correct on everything just want to confirm my guesses

Barred Rock x Chantecler
Cockerel

Easter Egger x 1/2 Chantecler 1/2 White Californian
Cockerel

White Californian x Chantecler
Pullet

Easter Egger x White Californian
Pullet

Barred Rock x Chantecler
Pullet

Barred Rock x Chantecler
Pullet
I think so!
big_smile.png

Goldenfeather Welcome to the thread , glad you decided to join us.

I like the pigeons, I would like to make them my next critter here, but I am afraid they would just end up a tasty treat for the hawks and eagles around me.

What part of the state do you hail from? I live on the outskirts of Greater Metropolitan Orrock. With holdings near the center of the Universe. Sasquatch is watching that property for me mow.

Layers, I think you are correct, I cannot really tell what the saddle feathers look like on #4 and #6.

MnChickyMom.. I am glad PITA is working out. I did not have the time to work with him.. He use to be a sweetheart and when he got back from New Ulm he just turned into a BellyButton. He should be on his knees thanking you for taking him, had he stayed here he would be a pile of feathers, guts, legs and some good meat in the freezer.

If you can, can you get a picture of one of his feathers (or a few on his back) right in front of the saddle. I want to see the colors they should be (bay or mahogany, then a black bar followed by a white tip) I am looking for something in the colors the judges in New Ulm told me about. It saved another rooster here, he had the right combination with the right tail setting and went from the group waiting to go with the nice Asian lady to a breeder. I actually pulled PITA's father out of the breeding rotation for now. I have another young rooster in the SS's with the one that is not going with the Nice Asian lady, but I might pull him out also. I am just wondering what his feathers are like back there. If I recall he has a white feather on the one wing. I know he has some in the tail but they do not matter... Thanks

I am done plowing snow for today. I have to take my Bobcat to Pease tomorrow. It is leaking oil badly from one of the connections and the pump is a tad noisier than normal. I hope I did not ruin it. I hate the idea of getting another bobcat.

I have more plowing to do but it is hard plowing for my 4-wheeler to do. Fingers Crossed.

Sounds good Ralphie!

Thanks everyone! I made sure to keep a few feathers of him... I think I am gonna see if my mom friend will make a dream catcher with a few on there...

Goldenfeather Welcome to the thread , glad you decided to join us.

I like the pigeons, I would like to make them my next critter here, but I am afraid they would just end up a tasty treat for the hawks and eagles around me.

What part of the state do you hail from? I live on the outskirts of Greater Metropolitan Orrock. With holdings near the center of the Universe. Sasquatch is watching that property for me mow.

Layers, I think you are correct, I cannot really tell what the saddle feathers look like on #4 and #6.

MnChickyMom.. I am glad PITA is working out. I did not have the time to work with him.. He use to be a sweetheart and when he got back from New Ulm he just turned into a BellyButton. He should be on his knees thanking you for taking him, had he stayed here he would be a pile of feathers, guts, legs and some good meat in the freezer.

If you can, can you get a picture of one of his feathers (or a few on his back) right in front of the saddle. I want to see the colors they should be (bay or mahogany, then a black bar followed by a white tip) I am looking for something in the colors the judges in New Ulm told me about. It saved another rooster here, he had the right combination with the right tail setting and went from the group waiting to go with the nice Asian lady to a breeder. I actually pulled PITA's father out of the breeding rotation for now. I have another young rooster in the SS's with the one that is not going with the Nice Asian lady, but I might pull him out also. I am just wondering what his feathers are like back there. If I recall he has a white feather on the one wing. I know he has some in the tail but they do not matter... Thanks

I am done plowing snow for today. I have to take my Bobcat to Pease tomorrow. It is leaking oil badly from one of the connections and the pump is a tad noisier than normal. I hope I did not ruin it. I hate the idea of getting another bobcat.

I have more plowing to do but it is hard plowing for my 4-wheeler to do. Fingers Crossed.
*GoldenFlight*

Your welcome! You could keep them inside most of the time. I'm in southwest MN.

There's a section in our local newspaper called Looking Back.
They basically take important events from the newspaper 10, 15, 20, and 25 years ago.
For the 25 years ago it was the 3rd graders Santa letters.
One of the kids wanted a big foot, some BBs for his BB gun and for his dad not to shoot his dog... Mixed emotions at that

I wish I could make a permanent colony of crows and raven here. When they are in the trees around here I have no predator problems.  I would gladly pay them for their services.  

Our Pyrenees Yeti won't them land on our yard or trees he runs around the yard barking at them all day if they try. I don't have to worry about flying predators with him around!

Back
Top Bottom