Surviving Minnesota!

Holms, tell me how you did when you sat in church? Did you nod off? Or sit up straight and stay awake you young party animal.

I haven't gone to church yet! Won't leave for another half hour. So I will let you know afterwards:lol:

I was collecting eggs yesterday, discovered six under a Buff. BO's are so docile and sweet. So I pulled them out from under her to pick up. She quickly stood up and gathered three back in and sat back down. I laughed and told her that was fair, I got half, she got half. I went back later to get my other half.

I was collecting eggs yesterday, discovered six under a Buff. BO's are so docile and sweet. So I pulled them out from under her to pick up. She quickly stood up and gathered three back in and sat back down. I laughed and told her that was fair, I got half, she got half. I went back later to get my other half.

Big Mistake!! The hen is a female, never let a female think she has won...

That is lesson number 6 in my Marriage counseling services...

lau.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Well thank you for checking Ralphie. It has been a very busy season around here. Now it is onward to a NEW YEAR!!! Yea. Not that 2016 was bad. Just looking forward.

I have firmly decided that the only way there will be new chicks here is by mother natures plan. The hens can do their work in hatching them and raising them. I think that will be interesting. Of the flock I have now (there are 21) five have just wintered their second time. Six are pullets and not laying yet and the rest are pullets and this is their first winter. So it makes sense that I average eight eggs daily. Regina, my CLB, has come into her own and lays (finally!) about three to four times a week. Little eggs like pullet eggs. Reginald a.k.a Reggie is my CLB Roo and his HUGE comb took a beating on that 20 below night we had. Otherwise he had been doing well. Some of his wattles a got bit a little also. He was miserable and I was too. He is my all-time favorite bird.

On heating the coop - I am all for it on these cold, cold winter nights. Like what we will be getting during this upcoming week. Nothing down to 20 degrees but when it is hitting those below zero numbers - Yes! Nuts to the birds fending for themselves. I have gone over to the other side. I want it no lower than 20 to 25 in their coop and if that requires heat - so be it. Definitely the pea or rose combs from here on out if I am acquiring new breeds.

So am I seasoned alittle now after two winters of chickens? Or am I still a wanna be? LOL. Could not be without my chickens!

Would it not be better to let the female think she won? Would it not be worthy of the battle to surrender so she thinks she has control while you go about having your own way with a smile?

Spoken like a true woman!!
lau.gif
Judy feels the same way as you.

Speaking of Judy, She asked me if a &*&*& Turkey has been up in the bird feeder. I wonder why she thinks that..

I am not thinking she believed me when I said " I have noticed some of the chickadees getting a little plump"...

Back
Top Bottom