Surviving Minnesota!

When we bought this house last spring it was with the intention of finishing the basement and then selling it. We already had birds at our place in Ramsey so I modified the shed at the new place into a coop. Now our garage is to full of mowers blowers and weed whips, I could really use that space in the shed. and with the baby due in April and a new pointer puppy coming this spring, we decided to just do away with chickens until we have more space. So this spring I'll be finishing that basement and adding a new paver patio and retaining wall in the backyard, and possibly a deck. So if all that goes as planned we can pull a good chunk of equity out of this place, buy the 75 acre farm I've had my eye on, get my new chickens and live happily ever after.

P.s. Did I mention we're having another girl?

When we bought this house last spring it was with the intention of finishing the basement and then selling it. We already had birds at our place in Ramsey so I modified the shed at the new place into a coop. Now our garage is to full of mowers blowers and weed whips, I could really use that space in the shed. and with the baby due in April and a new pointer puppy coming this spring, we decided to just do away with chickens until we have more space. So this spring I'll be finishing that basement and adding a new paver patio and retaining wall in the backyard, and possibly a deck. So if all that goes as planned we can pull a good chunk of equity out of this place, buy the 75 acre farm I've had my eye on, get my new chickens and live happily ever after.

P.s. Did I mention we're having another girl?

Congratulations Cyrus83. 2016 is going to be an eventful year at your house!

Wow lots going on!

Cyrus-sounds like you and DW have a plan. Hope things go well for you! Congrats on having another girl! Daughters are so much fun aren't they!!

Ralphie & EJB those hens are gorgeous!! I am in love!! Put me on your chick list too. What beauties!!

Um I forgot everything else I was going to say. Hate it when that happens. I blame it on trying out the toppings for Ralph's eggs. ;)

Not much more for action in the calf department round these parts. I hope they either have them soon in these somewhat nicer temps or hold them tight until those awful cold temps coming this weekend pass! A baby at -20 doesn't sound like a good idea to me!

Have you tried the cold recipe? It works really well.

I haven't heard the spud term before. I just call it a chisel!

@duluthralphie , I'll have to venture to Togo sometime soon. I always enjoy checking out new fishing holes. When we were kids, we dragged a little boat my Grandpa bought from Sears in the 50's all over town to different lakes. I still have that piece of crap! It's not really sea worthy anymore, but I'd like to fix it up for my son.

DH's family has a cabin in Sauk Centre. I've never caught anything impressive in the lake their cabin is on, but it channels to Fairy Lake which has been good for sunnies and crappies. Anyways, his family despises northern. I grew up catching them, eating them, getting excited to catch them, you name it. His dad won't even touch them. I wasn't sure if I was amused or thinking ***. Lol, maybe both! They also don't clean fish. I had to teach my husband
smile.png

Last edited:
Cluckies Say Hi to me new BFF.

I have the incubator in the house, I got it in here yesterday during my busy day. I have it setting right in the hallway in the entry. my DW is complaining some about it's placement.

She is kind of demanding I move it. I am thinking she will be happy when she gets home from work tonight. I plan to have it on the dining room table then. She really cannot say anything about that, because she told me to move it.

EJB How tight does it hold the temps? Are there any cold spots inside it? Any hints on moisture levels?

BTW, I promise you all, I will be my normal humble self after the drawing tonight. I am not going to let my soon to be fortune change me in anyway at all. Matter of fact to show you how much t will not change my life, one little bit, I promise to invite you all to a party on my soon to be yacht.

Will a yacht fit on Eagle Lake?

I think you are right on the name "spud" BC, I had never heard them called that until you did, but I knew right away what you meant. I always use one or a single bladed axe on thinner ice. I have heard the term "spud used to mean solid down riggers like a spear though. For anchoring a boat or dock.

Are you sure the pump did not work once the mystery feather was removed? Some repairmen lie once in a while. Sort of like fisherman.
Okay. Whew on the German/Norwegian/Swede terminology.

I would like to think we had a nice honest guy come out and fix it. But you never know I guess. I'll keep the faith that that is what I needed for my own fragile state of mind. I'm already feeling guilty about said feather (dam the moult) possibly causing damage to that pump. I already have a new years resolution to check all pockets before doing laundry. As if I needed to add something like this to the pile of things to do. It might infringe on my BYC time, that's for certain.

WE could ALL win on this lottery and still come out wwwaaayyy ahead. Then I would buy a farm! LOL! My DH would want some to build his 'shack' in Aitkin.

RALPHIE - Are you going to sell chicks from that roo and the new hens. Please put me on the list if you are.

Anyone that wants a chick I will make sure they get one if I can. EJB is first though, he wants some pullets for the genetic variation, which makes sense.

I haven't heard the spud term before. I just call it a chisel!

@duluthralphie , I'll have to venture to Togo sometime soon. I always enjoy checking out new fishing holes. When we were kids, we dragged a little boat my Grandpa bought from Sears in the 50's all over town to different lakes. I still have that piece of crap! It's not really sea worthy anymore, but I'd like to fix it up for my son.

DH's family has a cabin in Sauk Centre. I've never caught anything impressive in the lake their cabin is on, but it channels to Fairy Lake which has been good for sunnies and crappies. Anyways, his family despises northern. I grew up catching them, eating them, getting excited to catch them, you name it. His dad won't even touch them. I wasn't sure if I was amused or thinking ***. Lol, maybe both! They also don't clean fish. I had to teach my husband
smile.png

I find it amazing how many people despise Northerns. I have seen people just kill them and throw them back, Ticks me off so much I usually say something to them. And that is hard to believe because I am so quiet and keep my opinions to myself so often.

I clean a northern in 5 pieces so there are no bones in it anywhere. It is such a white heavy fish I love it! I have been trying to teach my wife to clean fish for 40 plus years. She is a very slow learner,

Back
Top Bottom