Surviving Minnesota!

I was out making a new chicken door on my coop. Smaller in hopes of keeping the Turkeys out. I do not mind the turkeys hens getting in and eating my layer feed, they may need the nutrients. BUT the toms that are short timers do not need to be in there. Besides they harass the chickens when they get inside.

While I was in there this evening it got fairly dark. I noticed Ed sitting on his roost. He always sits on a low roost close to the chicken door to the run. I think all good roosters sit by the door. to protect the hens. No proof of this just my idea.

I reached down and started petting his back. He did not run, did not fight, but was very vocal in telling me to leave him alone. He was pretty good about being touched though. I do not touch my chickens all that much.

I found a "new" EE in my coop. I never noticed her before. I have just enough EE that look alike so I do not pay attention to them. I never noticed the "blue" ear lobes.

I have pictures of her to show you, but you cannot tell Judy she was in the house. That would be a big No-no for her.
The photos do not show the blue real well.

And next question is this a wheaten? I know she does not have green legs but I still think of her as a EE.

Oh she's really pretty Ralphie.

I like her! You'll have to keep an eye on her.

Is she a Wheaton? Wheaton is just a color right?

I find it amazing she has lived her and escaped my view. Some of the young ones just seem to fade into the flock.

I might have to breed her to the rooster Coffee wants or to a Creamer. Just to try to keep that cool blue ear lobe.

Last edited:
I was out making a new chicken door on my coop. Smaller in hopes of keeping the Turkeys out. I do not mind the turkeys hens getting in and eating my layer feed, they may need the nutrients. BUT the toms that are short timers do not need to be in there. Besides they harass the chickens when they get inside.

While I was in there this evening it got fairly dark. I noticed Ed sitting on his roost. He always sits on a low roost close to the chicken door to the run. I think all good roosters sit by the door. to protect the hens. No proof of this just my idea.

I reached down and started petting his back. He did not run, did not fight, but was very vocal in telling me to leave him alone. He was pretty good about being touched though. I do not touch my chickens all that much.

I found a "new" EE in my coop. I never noticed her before. I have just enough EE that look alike so I do not pay attention to them. I never noticed the "blue" ear lobes.

I have pictures of her to show you, but you cannot tell Judy she was in the house. That would be a big No-no for her.
The photos do not show the blue real well.

And next question is this a wheaten? I know she does not have green legs but I still think of her as a EE.

She is lovely, i've never seen blue ear lobes, very cool! I don't know wheaten from oaten, can't help you there...

Ralphie, that is not a Wheaten, but a combination of colors. It has some gold pencil but much more in addition. It is either a nondescript or descript EE depending upon one's perspective.
The Partridge Chanteclers originated from a source which shall remain nameless, lest it reduce the demand for your chicks.
As relates to cleaning fish, I clean trout and my wife fillets the walleyes. Not much fish is cleaned by either of us due to primarily being catch and release advocates. My wife does not eat fish, although she is an avid fisherman. Northerns are a subject for quick release, preferably without having to be handled. They are slimey and do not smell very good.

Got some pics today. Now dont drool over the waterfowl to much Ralph. I know how u love them!!

not just for tamping, for bust up clods or rocks while digging the holes too
When I think of a tamper I think of a handle with a big flat end for packing/flattening

We have no clods, rocks, stones or anything. We need a pointy end to tamp in this sand, a broad flat end would just bounce and never pack anything. Someday I hope to find a rock on this place.

Ralphie, that is not a Wheaten, but a combination of colors. It has some gold pencil but much more in addition. It is either a nondescript or descript EE depending upon one's perspective.
The Partridge Chanteclers originated from a source which shall remain nameless, lest it reduce the demand for your chicks.
As relates to cleaning fish, I clean trout and my wife fillets the walleyes. Not much fish is cleaned by either of us due to primarily being catch and release advocates. My wife does not eat fish, although she is an avid fisherman. Northerns are a subject for quick release, preferably without having to be handled. They are slimey and do not smell very good.

Oh no Northern smell great!

And taste better.

Now , about the non-descript descript EE, What can you tell me about the blue ear lobes? The blue is hard to see, it is surrounded by the white the photo show so well....

The genetics of these birds must be strange, to get a rose comb and now blue ear lobes when none of the parents have them.

Back
Top Bottom