Surviving Minnesota!

Jerry once we fill our turkey tags we are going to go try and find the crappies. We have a secret spot where we fill out all the time in the summer. AND THE BLUEGILL ARE MONSTERS! I cant grab them by the side as they are just too big.

Last edited:
We need rain badly... Ground is super dry... Luckily we have lots of streams so the grass and alfalfa is growing... Just not as good as it would if we had rain... Everyone send your rain this way! We need it for the shrooms too!

Jerry once we fill our turkey tags we are going to go try and find the crappies. We have a secret spot where we fill out all the time in the summer. AND THE BLUEGILL ARE MONSTERS! I cant grab them by the side as they are just too big.
ep.gif
Now you got my attention . I love catching large bluegill .

BC are the crappie biting ? Not planning to fish this trip but if they turn on I will find a couple free hours . What do you know about the local ferns ? Are they Ostrich ferns ? Those fiddle heads on emerging Ostrich are a edible greens . Might be about the right time to pick while I am there . I hear bracken fern will give you the quick step . Do not need that while working .
big_smile.png

Jerry I have not went down to the dock to try it. I should. DH picked up our licenses. Usually the temps are right when the Trillium are in bloom in the woods. That's when I time it. No trillium yet. We actually have the best bay for Crappies. Black bottom lake too...so it should really be starting to warm up soon.

We have that Ostrich fern (I googled to see which one that was) and two other common types come to mind that are out there-- looks like they are Wood Fern and Bracken Fern. One that's sort of broad on top and a long stem is the most common around here. But the Ostrich is out there too. I've got an idea on our road where some grow but not sure if they are mixed with some of the others...that's the tricky part. Would need a picture of their fiddlehead to maybe differentiate them. No thank you on the quick steps around here. Siggie's DH can keep those...LOL. Oh dear.

Ok I looked up ferns of MN and Ostrich ferns are listed . Thought they looked familiar . They were once common foundation plantings here . Never seen any growing wild here .

Thank you BC
smile.png

My Orps combs are getting really red so I should have eggs soon
wink.png

My sister is running down to Minnie's tomorrow. So this year we'll fill up that incubator with her fine birdie eggs. But I would like to add a buff bird or two to my flock. If all goes wrong on the incubating I'll be asking how the girls are coming along. I'm thinking about a small brinsea for myself...just to get a few birds and not be as reliant on the class room hatch. IDK.... Now that I don't have Dixie anymore, I might have to push that incubator purchase up on the list. Plus Jerry is bringing up birds too...it's looking like so my roost is going to be a bit more full than it should...

Hang onto those birds for me Holm. I think you will probably sell a pile of hatching eggs from them. They are desirable breeds too, I think.

I planted some on the North side of my house and they did quite well there...along the foundation. But then the Chickens stomped them down a bit and I don't think they've come back in the last two years. They like that cool side of the house. Should dig up some more and retry some. They are beautiful along the house.

Wow the chicks are getting really big. I'm hopefully renovating the rabbit hutch for the chicks. It needs to be insulated. Wired for a heat lamp, and a run outside or I have to build a tractor for them. They are 7 weeks today so only about 9 more weeks until they go to the actual coop!!

Back
Top Bottom