Surviving Minnesota!

Busy people!

Jerry, Do you have a lot of turkeys there? I went out to pick a meal of mushrooms yesterday afternoon. I went to a friends place just behind his shed I found a wild turkey nest. I thought it was a puffball at first but looked wrong when I touched it, I found it to be an egg. the rest of the nest was about a foot away under leaves.

My apple trees are done blooming, one had a lot the others a few, I saw a few bumblebees but no homey bees, i assume it is another appleless year.

I did not get them sprayed before the bloom either. I will spray them in a few days, I want all the blossoms gone in case a stupid bee shows up. Hate to kill the last bee in the area.

EJB How is that rooster working? Is his leg any better?

I think I figured out what got my turkey hen, I have in the barn with the head injury. There was a dead possum on the road less than a quarter mile from here. The wound was a small mouth and I was thining a bird of prey, but possum makes more sense. I seldom see them here, they do not seem to do well in our winters, but a warm winter liek we had might mean more of the little (word withheld to keep me off the detention bus).

Another Yucky day in store....Barn work and maybe a quick trip for more oysters. I had a few for breakfast and am going to dry the rest.

@bobbi-j I have a really bad picture of an oriole , if you can tell me which one you think it is..

View attachment 601721

View attachment 601750
I'm going to say probably a female Baltimore. From the pictures I googled, the female orchard looks more yellow.

I'm going to say probably a female Baltimore. From the pictures I googled, the female orchard looks more yellow.

I was blissfully going through life thinking there was only one Oriole until yesterday when you complicated my life.....:lau

I read the books and look them up online and it is so hard for me to tell, and, of course, they refuse to stay still so I can get close and get a good picture.

I was blissfully going through life thinking there was only one Oriole until yesterday when you complicated my life.....:lau

I read the books and look them up online and it is so hard for me to tell, and, of course, they refuse to stay still so I can get close and get a good picture.
Well then, mission accomplished! I always tell DH my goal in life is to make things as difficult as possible. :lau

Well I'm feeling like I should really confuse you Ralphie with these orioles.

These would be the moocher oriole I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    379.6 KB · Views: 5
Morning :)
is the sun ever coming back?
I went to a friend of a friends yesterday and dug up about a dozen wild blackberry canes!! Planted them on the edge of my herb garden where all the wild raspberries are growing...a little chicken poop and they should take off! I was told the berries are not as big as the berries you can buy in the store but are very sweet. The woman also gave me about a dozen cuttings from some sort of grape vine that she said does well in her zone 2-3 climate? She said it grows large bunches of small purple grapes that are very tasty fresh or in jelly!! Not sure yet where I am planting those.
While pulling weeds I found out that 3 of my Asparagus plants made it! woohoo!
Moved all my Hosta's to the north side of the greenhouse...
then I went inside and died on the couch.
Knee's hurt a lot today but I'm back at work like the little trooper that I am. I hate this job-I just want to stay home plant my plants and watch my horses and chickens be horses and chickens...don't judge.

@MNChickMom I accidentally killed your Buckeye rooster... Well I didnt kill him... A predator did... He accidentally got locked out of the coop last night with one of my rooster and they were both found with their breasts ripped open and eaten... Not sure what did it but the **** thing will be sorry.... Predators have not been an issue this year... I have had some old bitties get kicked out over night and nothing touched them. But the future breeders get left out and they get killed.

@MNChickMom I accidentally killed your Buckeye rooster... Well I didnt kill him... A predator did... He accidentally got locked out of the coop last night with one of my rooster and they were both found with their breasts ripped open and eaten... Not sure what did it but the **** thing will be sorry.... Predators have not been an issue this year... I have had some old bitties get kicked out over night and nothing touched them. But the future breeders get left out and they get killed.
Oh no! how sad :(
Do you have an automatic coop door? I was looking at them but I am afraid of just this issue...how does it know when all the birds are in??? I have 2 Barred Rock hens that push the envelope every night and don't go in until it's almost completely dark. Luckily I lock them in the run first and then let them roam until they decide to go in...then I count them all and shut the coop door.

Back
Top Bottom