Surviving Minnesota!

I have been MIA, but we butchered 77 CX on Thursday. The Toads are now by themselves again. Ralphie, at what point do you think I could put them in the coop with the hens? They certainly are big enough! Also what did you use for a roost again and how high off the ground? The week before butchering I tried to weigh the Toads, but they are too big for my scale now. It seemed they were 6.7 lbs live weight. The CX at 8 weeks 2 days were between 4.4 - 5.6 lbs dressed. Next CX batch we will wait another week or 2 so we get some bigger birds. With both our family and pastor's family being numbered at 7 a bigger bird is necessary.

I figured out what to do with my hatching eggs that are to hatch when we leave for vacation. I am putting together a closed off area for 3 broody hens and I am going to just put the eggs under them for the last week. Then they can raise the chicks and I wont have to deal with it. Right now I keep having the eggs they are sitting on disappear. I know there is an egg eating hen out there but I don't know which one. I think when the hen gets of the nest she goes in and eats an egg. I have like 7 broody hens right now. And only a few eggs. Which is why I have to build my broody hen area and discover who is eating my eggs. then a head is going to go missing. With this plan then my turkey eggs can keep incubating for the extra week. I did find out the turkey eggs are from domesticated wild turkeys. I probably would not have bothered with them if I had known that. takes about a year for them to get 12-15 lbs I guess. Oh, well we will see if I can keep them alive. I hear poults are hard to keep alive.

Good Morning Chickeners . . . .

MCM - Wow! you had alot going on this past week. It would make a good series on a soap. Each episode would be a different event of the week and it would make big money and you would be able to do with that money what you want. How is the new nephew and Mom. Congrats on being an Aunty again. That bug bite on the son - curious to know if it is clearing up. Too bad on the hen and roo but congrats on getting all that hay baled. Big job!

Not sleeping well, very tired. Have a great day chickeners.

Good Morning Chickeners . . . .

MCM - Wow! you had alot going on this past week. It would make a good series on a soap. Each episode would be a different event of the week and it would make big money and you would be able to do with that money what you want. How is the new nephew and Mom. Congrats on being an Aunty again. That bug bite on the son - curious to know if it is clearing up. Too bad on the hen and roo but congrats on getting all that hay baled. Big job!

Not sleeping well, very tired. Have a great day chickeners.
The nephew is doing well, he is being discharged today, in the future he will have surgery to remove the one kidney that started to form but then shriveled up, the other kidney is functioning perfectly. Momma has not seen the doctor yet today, yesterday she received a unit of blood so I am sure they are monitoring a little extra.

Son has just a little redness left....it is amazing what modern medicine can do!

No chicken deaths this morning....but another hen doesn't look so good. Eight more piles of bloody poo. So we have some distance to cover yet....before we are outta the woods!

Speaking of woods....deer belong in the woods not on the roads. I locked up the brakes and left part of my new tires on Benton County Rd 1. All for 2 deer that then turned and looked me straight in the face. Eek a little too close for comfort.

I am being lazy today, This heat is ridiculous so early in the morn.

I am headed to Runnings sometime today. I want to get some Corrid just in case. I also want to get some antibiotic for the turkey poult with the mumps. Not sure it is bacterial, but I would think if it was viral it would be gone by now.

I searched Runnings site last night for antibiotics, not much I can get there. Walmart did not have the stuff for goldfish the other day, so I think it is calf bolus crushed and shoved down it's throat or in water.

Not much else to do. I might let the broody with the babies out of the cage today. The babies are huge and fully feathered. She is laying eggs again. So I suppose it is time to let her go.

It will be nice to not get bit every time I walk by the cage. There has to be something wrong with a hen that bites you when it wants to be held. I might have to send her to the Chicken Cuddler of Hermantown to see if he can break the biting habit..

IMG_4597.JPG
IMG_4598.JPG
IMG_4599.JPG
IMG_4600.JPG

I guess you could say we had a great night on the lake yesterday :D

Back
Top Bottom