Surviving Minnesota!

What did they do this time?
Killed a turkey poult. And the past week they have been nothing but monsters. They are all locked up. I found a dead CX in my coop the other day that was covered in scratches and bite too... Not sure if it was them or not but watching them chase birds the way they did yesterday I think it was. They're nasty

Morning chickeners. LOVE these kinds of days - once-in-a-while. Good nesting day.
Ralphie - had to give you a hard time about Hennepin. Its all good. ;)
Gotta get some plans mad for what it is I want to accomplish with the chicken coops. Thats on the indoor list today. Would like to begin the process this weekend. The DH will be up in Aitkin running water and sewer lines - getting closer to the build. Drain field is ready and septic, for installation. Then its build. Wow! Never thought . . . .
Been working with the GLC pullets the past week. Besides feeding and watering them I haven't paid much attention to these birds. Now I will open their little coop door and offer some treats (usually a couple of berries of some kind) and they are beginning to approach me when they see my face and hear my voice.
The one little chick that Rosie is raising is silver and black with black legs. Copper has black legs and so does my BA so guess which egg that chick hatched from. As far as I am concerned letting Rosie brood is the only way to get chicks. She takes care of everything and OMGosh! She was/is such a nice broody.

Yes a cold rainy day.
A little reprieve. Much needed water.

Last night i was burning the midnight oil and researching how to cut the cord with our cable tv . DirectTV is our provider. Nobody watched Satellite tv last night. It was all streamed tv. That's the way we are going. The difference in bills is looking like $1200/year.

Hey Holm - I will bring a dish to pass IF you decide to cook them and invite us to the event. Not that I do or do not like Guinea. No opinion on that. I had the opportunity to have Duck Gumbo one evening this past week. I contributed home-made French bread (its so much better than from the store). I was told the secret is the Rue and how to do it. I might practice a small amount this weekend - it will be good weather for soup.
BC - $1200! That could go along way toward chicken stuff!
I know ours is up there also and we do not even watch TV. DH talks (now! :confused: because I suggested this wa a a y before Direct TV was installed) about installing an antenna.

Yes a cold rainy day.
A little reprieve. Much needed water.

Last night i was burning the midnight oil and researching how to cut the cord with our cable tv . DirectTV is our provider. Nobody watched Satellite tv last night. It was all streamed tv. That's the way we are going. The difference in bills is looking like $1200/year.

We are cutting the cord too. Dish is nearly gone.

We watch more streaming than anything else now. Als we have nearly 40 channels availible to us from the TC and Brainerd,

When I began this Great Chicken Adventure I purchased a small kit coop. It was what I had to work with as the DH was not on board although he has thoroughly come around now. So the front portion of the now 12' covered run/coop (the first 4 feet) is coop kit and it will need to be replaced sooner than later.
Now there is a shed (slant) roof to add character that the DH built over the kit portion when he added the back portion. I am wanting to take the roof off that front little portion and build under that shed roof so there is an enclosed coop for the winter. That area would be 6 x 3. three feet allows for two roosts 10" apart. That is enough roost space for 15 birds (they do not take up 10" each) and keep them out of the drafts and heat up the roosting area from their bodies. NO HEAT! Working on the plan (not a big deal) today and start gathering materials tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom