Surviving Minnesota!

4CBA90B6-50FB-4579-9B9F-E9985A9B5D1F.jpeg

I really like the cow, a good framed baldie, probably weighs around 1200 which is around where a cow should be for efficiency. The calf looks really nice so far, I haven't been out as much as I would like to lately. She looks like she is out of one of Brads bulls, and I like those 2 more then our other one.

This post is useless without pics LOL! We need pictures!

I tried to get some yesterday of the pair, but the calf was to busy playing. We just took the bulls out of the corrals the other day, but I can probably find an old one
I love baldies. We are expecting one more baldy this year but I’m crossing my fingers it’s a bull calf. I’ll have to get a new pic of the baldy we have now.. He’s a little brat lol.

Ooo are you another Minnesota poultry breeder?
I am in Amery, WI. It's pretty close to the border. I'm closer to most of the MN people than the WI. Everyone seems to be on the South East side of WI. I order the chicks for our local feed store. I start reserving them in Dec. to get the breeds people want. I still have chicks that came in 2 weeks ago, some from last week, 50 came today and more coming Thursday and Friday! I hate to cancel orders because when it warms up everyone is going to come flocking in and I won't be able to get anything good because they're all booked up through Mid-May or later. I might have to set up a coop at this rate! I have also been hatching my chocolate orpingtons and some fun mixes out of my Dorking, Faverolles, Houdan pen, but I have sold very few.

What temps do you run your brooder at for week-old? I know that 95 is the recommendation, but they seem to really slow down and stay away from the lights at that temp. At 88-90 they seem more scattered and comfortable, but that seems too cold.

What temps do you run your brooder at for week-old? I know that 95 is the recommendation, but they seem to really slow down and stay away from the lights at that temp. At 88-90 they seem more scattered and comfortable, but that seems too cold.
I've never measured. Those heat recommendations are way off base, though... I have two week olds in 65° with no heat source. According to them, they should be at 85. They're doing just dandy. Go with what the chicks tell you.

Just hang a light and let the chicks decide.. if they are bunched under the light they are cold.,, if they lay in a circle out a ways they are fine.

Back
Top Bottom