Surviving Minnesota!

This was one of those barred roosters, that are Bert's brothers. It was the one I was going to keep for Bert Backup. I am now without a back up, Fingers crossed Bert keeps living!

I went back out and set a trap. I figure it must be in the area, so I set a trap using the dead rooster as bait. Only took about 15 minutes, BUT it is dang cold out there Nearly froze my hands setting the trap.
that is probably the best thing you could have done. i suspect the culprit stayed in the area in hopes to come back and finish the meal

I bundled down all my chickens for the night. i feel the worst for the corn crib coop. i got out a can of foam spray to try and seal up some gaps but it was too cold according to the directions for application. couldn't find my staple gun to cover the walls either. i did however give them much of that messed straw bale in the coop to cuddle up in. i have learned much about that coop in this cold. the eggs in that coop freeze way quicker than the other coop too

Ralph sorry about your roo. I am going with a fisher or mink. Be careful!! Theu are killing machines and will kill a coop full of birds in a night!

Ralph sorry about your roo. I am going with a fisher or mink. Be careful!! Theu are killing machines and will kill a coop full of birds in a night!

Could be a mink. I think I am too close to the Minnesota Mason Dixon line for a fisher. I have never heard of them south of Mille Lacs Lake. That is about 50 miles north of here But they could be. I am racking my brain trying to figure it out. The tracks could be mink, but the snow was fluffy enough to not leave a distinctive track.

Coons should be drowsy on a cold night like this, Possum should be dead on a night like this. I Suppose an Owl could have hit it and the tracks were just a coincidence from a squirrel or rabbit earlier.

Weasel tracks are so small, but they would be active in this weather.

I had to particular feelings towards this rooster so there is no emotional stuff. I am just worried about my other birds. As Holm said a nasty fur bearer could clean me out.

A coyote or fox would have taken the carcass. A real mystery.

I am sorry I can't help you on building costs. I would assume there are a lot of variables involved. Finishes, ceiling height materials.

I put on my big boy undies and dressed up to go see if I could find my rooster. It was colder than, well you know. I walked around the area I had last seen him, saw his tracks and that was it. I then went over amongst the breeding pens. Nothing,

I went towards the pen he had come out of and saw a blob lying in the snow, I went and checked out the blob. It was my rooster dead. Something took him in the neck. The head was still attached but there was a spot 2-3 inches below the head something had been eating on him. There were tracks that looked like rabbit or squirrel tracks. I doubt it was a rabbit. Whatever is was, I wonder if I scared it off.

I know we have some tough squirrels but I have some lagging doubts they did it either. I am going to have to set life traps, and see if I can get whatever it is. The tracks were too large for a weasel. Mink?? Maybe. I am trying to think what would be out on a night like this. There was one feather on the tracks about 4 feet from the rooster.

I am now worried about the Susex's, creamettes, and Bert's bunch. They all live right in that area. Dang,,,

Oh no, sorry about your roo Ralphie. I hope it wasn't a weasel or mink, like Holm said, they'll come back and take down a whole coop in one night. they don't bite the head off I guess, they bite the neck and drink the blood, them move onto the next one till they are all dead i've heard
sad.png

So cold! Went to monticello for DD birthday supper, then hit the wally world for some socks and summer sausage. was just heading home when DD called and said she was at Cub in plymouth and her car wouldn't start... How long were we in Wally world? cripes. anywhoo, had to run down there, got her up and going. Didn't get home until after 10, so, I got to freeze cleaning the run tonight.

I'll admit it though, I'm a softy, I broke down and put a heat lamp in the run last night. don't worry, bulb covered by hardware cloth, put up really securely, no risk of fire. It kept the run about 10 degrees or so today. I hope the sun is out tomorrow though. sigh...

P.S.
Oh yeah, then when I came in all the smoke alarms were going off and would not stop, took out all the batteries, nope, had to unplug them all. Poor puppies were just howling...
sad.png

Last edited:
Ralphie if it had been a bird of prey that killed the roo you should have seen quite a pronounced mark in fluffy snow from wings on take off. Is it possible it was a feral cat? Other than that I would guess mink, but whatever it is likely to be back and would prefer a fresh kill to the one already deceased and frozen.

Back
Top Bottom