Surviving Minnesota!

Ralph that is tough. Mink amd fisher kind of leap when walking so you would have tracks like this. I downloaded the pics off the internet.

Do u have ponds or streams near you??

Ok a long boring post.

I went out all my other birds are fine.

I took pictures so here they are. I did lighten them one notch just to show the details a tad.

The one below gives a little perspective with my size 13 in it.

I put a 5 gallon bucket in this one.

Here is the kill site, as you can see there is a wing mark, looks like an owl leaving, but could be the rooster flailing.

I am actually wondering if I had to predators here. The owl that did the kill and may have been scared off by me looking for the rooster, and a second critter that came by as an opportunistic feeder on the carcass. Maybe I even scared that one off. There were some feathers in the track or along the trail going south.
Two predators could be true. i was wondering the same thing for my recently deceased barred rock hen. an owl first and an opportunity feeder second

Ralph that is tough. Mink amd fisher kind of leap when walking so you would have tracks like this. I downloaded the pics off the internet.

Do u have ponds or streams near you??

That is there, but I think the snow was too deep and the belly dragged. If you look close you may see that. The feet are too far apart and big for a weasel.

I live on a peninsula that juts out into a swamp. There are many small open spaces of water and creeks. It is not good mink country, but if I had Pine Martin around here it would be perfect for them. Again I think I am too far south for a fisher, but who knows.

Hello my frozen friends! Ralphie directed the Turkey Thread folks over to inspect the kill site photos & to venture an opinion. I have none...it's a mystery to me. Just hoping whatever it was either moved on or froze to death. After reading what your morning temperatures are, I'm feeling like a whimp! It's going down to 20 here tonight and tomorrow won't get warmer than the high 30's. I was feeling sorry for myself until I hopped over here.

What is a sun dog?

I think you have a mink on your hands.

I am thinking a mink and a owl.

The owl I think did the kill, then I scared it off and the mink stumbled on it.

The people came to get the roosters.

A tad on the pushy side. They liked the toads, were impressed with their size. When they got them they looked for more roosters! I told them no more roosters the rest I need. They did not seem to want to understand,

They wanted to know if I had any "red" birds. I said no.

Then they asked if I had any white birds, I said " sure, but none for sale."

They wanted to see them. I showed them Bert Jr and his girls, they tried to buy Bert. Geeesch! I told them no, I said he is my bird Daddy.

They wanted to know when I would have more, I said May-June. They said "10 dollars" I had to tell them my extra junk birds are 10 bucks, not my premium Toads!

Then they asked for eggs, when I said I had 6 dozen right now, they asked how much. 3 bucks was too much and they started talking abut me in a foreign language!

Oh well, now I just hope Bert lives! If not I will be hunting across the country for a huge CX or CX cross rooster.

Hello my frozen friends! Ralphie directed the Turkey Thread folks over to inspect the kill site photos & to venture an opinion. I have none...it's a mystery to me. Just hoping whatever it was either moved on or froze to death. After reading what your morning temperatures are, I'm feeling like a whimp! It's going down to 20 here tonight and tomorrow won't get warmer than the high 30's. I was feeling sorry for myself until I hopped over here.

What is a sun dog?

A sun dog is those "rainbowish" circles you see around the sun. They are like Moon dogs but on the sun...rofl

Just looked at the Hencam, couldn't find my hens in the Run. Then I saw a head poke up every once in a while. They are all directly under the camera, all of them! Little stinkers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom