Surviving Minnesota!

Morning. Regional track meet was yesterday. Our team now has 7 kids going to state. One boy in Javelin, another boy in long jump and the 400, and the last boy in the 200, 400, 800. For girls we have two that are just going in our 4×200, another girl in the 4×200, 100, 200 and long jump, and me in the 300 hurdles, 400, high jump, and 4×200. Yesterday I ran a really good race in the 300H, I ran a 46.3, beating my career personal record by 1.59 seconds, my season PR by 1.76 seconds, beating our school record, and our regional meet record. And I am now #2 in the state with it.

The birds are doing really well, they have kicked it in the rear for laying, the Cochins too. I am prepping for the first show in about 6 weeks, I upped the protein about a week ago and they are doing much better in it.

We slept through the bear visiting (destroying) the bird feeders last night. The dog usually wakes us barking but she slept through it as well. It didn't go near the coop as usual :fl

Took the chicks outside today. I noticed that several of them have a large, hard lump on the right front of their breast. Almost seems like a crop or tumor. Is that how/where the crop develops? I'd never seen it before.
20180520_120243.jpg

Took the chicks outside today. I noticed that several of them have a large, hard lump on the right front of their breast. Almost seems like a crop or tumor. Is that how/where the crop develops? I'd never seen it before.View attachment 1397065

Is the lump under the skin? Is it deep? Does it feel lumpy or grainy? I am guessing you are just feeling the crop. Take the feed away over night, if they have nothing to eat for 12 hours it should be gone.

I can not think of a disease that creates a lump there on the chicks, that would affect them all.

@duluthralphie . .
Where are you. Fake Eilleen is starting to worry. :hit

Fake Eilleen will have to learn to exist on her own without me.....

I am here. BUT the late non-existent spring and then the hot summer like weather has me weeks behind. Also I have some deadlines imposed by the state to meet, I might be here a little less for the next couple weeks...

Is the lump under the skin? Is it deep? Does it feel lumpy or grainy? I am guessing you are just feeling the crop. Take the feed away over night, if they have nothing to eat for 12 hours it should be gone.

I can not think of a disease that creates a lump there on the chicks, that would affect them all.

Fake Eilleen will have to learn to exist on her own without me.....

I am here. BUT the late non-existent spring and then the hot summer like weather has me weeks behind. Also I have some deadlines imposed by the state to meet, I might be here a little less for the next couple weeks...
Well I suppose I will live. But it will be difficult.
Good to know your just busy. . carry on :frow

I'm a fool. It's the crop. Just alarmed me that it was off-center.

I'm a fool. It's the crop. Just alarmed me that it was off-center.
I will have to take some pictures of the crops on some of Naked Necks, they are half way on the side of the breast then in the front. They are really interesting bird to look at and study, and extremely friendly, but just don't meet my egg laying demands

Post pictures of the quail when they hatch, I love seeing all the colors they come in! I'll be patiently waiting for when they decide to kick back in :)
I will definitely share quail pics!! Supposedly with this batch I could get some rare colors. :) I think the hens are getting close, as in NOT molting, NOT broody and also accepting the roo. :) Fingers crossed!!!

Back
Top Bottom