Surviving Minnesota!

Sitting at after prom and it starts to rain and theres some lightning too, I haven't seen rain like this since 2016!
Screenshot_20190407-023054.jpg

It appears I am done cooking syrup today.

I am trying to concentrate my last 55 gallon drum of sap (combination of Maple and box elder)..

But it seems to have picked up a taste. Before you go ewwww, box elder syrup is really good. I doubt many could tell the difference between it and maple. It is a tad lighter. I had been combining sap up until a week ago. I knew the box elder would turn bad before the maples. I tasted some sap last night and it had a strong box elder taste.

I doubt it will make good syrup. I have about 15 buckets on trees to pull, I will taste it as I pull them, if good I will boil it. Tree sap has no taste other than a sweet kool aid after taste.

I did not see buds opening on the box elder, my silver maples are opening with upper buds open. I left my reds tapped but only have 2 of them. They could go another few days. I might see if I can get anything out of my birch.

I made a RO system at the last days. I like it I will make a larger one last year. I found returned RO's at the Mn Home store, for $53 each. I then tore them to pieces and salvaged the RO membrane and container. I can only remove about 10 gallons a day with the small system. Next year I will set up a manifold with 5 membranes on it. I should be able to take out 50 gallons of water a day which will save me a ton in propane (or wood if I make a wood stove).

I need to run to Fleetfarm and pick up more bottles, I think I will have nearly 5 gallons of maple syrup when I am done. No buying sugar for any reason will be allowed here........( Judy loves my homesteader ways and edicts)...maybe

Back
Top Bottom