Surviving Minnesota!

As the personal chauffeur in Ralphie’s escapades of yesterday. I will say I was civil to the older driver as I had a passenger with. Had I been alone, he would have gotten the horn and a few gestures.

On a positive note I got to see one of my original hens in her retirement community.... well maybe not retirement but she proudly showed off her clutch of eggs she has been brooding.

While visiting we talked with grandpa and grandpa was embarrassed by his “old hay equipment” then I reminded him that we used a machine that was 20 years older than his and we still love our old stuff. New equipment is just not built the way it used to be.

Don't forget about 2 legged predators
any neighbors that suddenly had a barbeque?
I thought it might be my neighbors dog (they are seasonal that come up north a couple times during the summer and deer season), but they haven't been up here that I've known in the past week or so.

My other neighbors have a dog, but he's never been in the yard, and all the feather piles all lead away from that house into the woods.

Map to kinda show what I mean:
map.jpg

Granted I'm surrounded by woods/swamp/lake, and I've seen foxes in the area, but never during the day. The attacks happened sometime between 10am and 7pm when it was still very much daytime.

I thought it might be my neighbors dog (they are seasonal that come up north a couple times during the summer and deer season), but they haven't been up here that I've known in the past week or so.

My other neighbors have a dog, but he's never been in the yard, and all the feather piles all lead away from that house into the woods.

Map to kinda show what I mean:
View attachment 1837926

Granted I'm surrounded by woods/swamp/lake, and I've seen foxes in the area, but never during the day. The attacks happened sometime between 10am and 7pm when it was still very much daytime.

I have had a fix encounter in broad daylight. On day 2 he was braisen enough to walk on my cement pad in front of the garage. Those were his last steps.

I had a bobcat in my run take out 3 birds.lethal bugger that one was. Daylight raid. I was on the other side of the house loading the RV. 10am. Must have interrupted her. She popped nails pushing in hardware cloth.

Edited to add this was last year.

I love Griswald type road trips.

Last edited:
I lost 4-5 birds yesterday to some predator. It’s time is coming... Weird how they were killed.

I had that a few years ago..I forget what predator it is, maybe some one else does..

They rip they open and go for the soft blood rich organs...leaving the meat..

Is that a mink? Darn old brain fails me now and then.

Back
Top Bottom