Surviving Minnesota!

I wish it would dry out a little bit here. Normally we’re not next door to a lake or even a puddle... It was dwindling but that was three days ago. I mean, I’m a big fan of lakes but my chicken yard is flooded again. :hitLucky I have the tractors because they sure couldn’t stay in their usual spot. Notice they’re not out? ‘Cause it’s looking like rain again.

72958DC1-48C4-4006-8C46-51AD8887D4ED.jpeg

Good morning!
It is 20 days before fair check in. I think we nailed down who is all going with. Unless I decide to flood open class with a few more birds. :)

This pollurium testing agent shortage is a real pain in the posterior. Minnesota 4h is sending out an email that will certainly create some chaotic phone calls and additional pandemonium.

Hoover’s twin sons have gladly accepted the new ranks of lead egg fertilizers.

I’m so proud of the little girls. I still need to sort of lead them but they are cooping up nicely each night. The time with the deer fliess is less and less.
The little French girls seem to be a bigger bird. One has the coppery cape feathers — Edith. And the other is all black. I can’t wait for the eggs. Cosette had a small tick on her eyelid. I got the tweezers out and a swift pull had the darn thing off.
The little barnevelder eats right by Sentry. He’s a gentle giant and littles are welcome at the feed bowl or on the roost. Her dark browns are starting to shine green and purple.

Sentry gave the call yesterday. We were all by the deck having old banana and apple. He gave the twirl. I saw the shadow. And when the birds were under a bald eagle came over the roof of the house. “No chickens here!” ... big fella...

Holms a 4-5 bird hit is in need of some damage control. Sadie didn’t like something in the woods yesterday. She was barking and a little afraid just the same. I’m sure she’s the reason I keep birds as long as I do. I have my hits too. But for sure she keeps a lot on the run too.

No storm hit us, I wouldn't even call what we got a sprinkle... Thankfully last night it rained some and it is supposed to rain throughout the day. Right now we are just on the edge of the system so hopefully that changes.

Just saw the ad for Hutchinson in the Poultry Press! I am excited for the fall shows this year, hopefully I can get my hens that are breeding in condition for the shows

Glad to hear that ominous looking 'cloud' didn't do anything Layers. I don't ever complain about rain. I hate dust. And water is good. But the entourage of skeeters and biting flies that usually accompany it is a side effect I don't care for. Oof they're bad.
That is a nice thing about SW ND, there are not a lot of bugs here. We got an inch last night so that was nice!

I’ve lived in this part of the world for 30 years and this is, bar none, the wettest year so far that I’ve ever experienced in SD. This is ridiculous. I would like it better if we’d dug a creek bed through our lower pasture as I wanted to do. (There used to be a creek through there in days of yore before so many trees grew up—it’s on the old maps). DH is afraid of govt goons, though even though “Waters of the Americas” has been nuked. :)yesss:) It is gonna happen next chance we get. Just sayin. For now the tractor can’t go down there in case it gets stuck.

I’ve lived in this part of the world for 30 years and this is, bar none, the wettest year so far that I’ve ever experienced in SD. This is ridiculous. I would like it better if we’d dug a creek bed through our lower pasture as I wanted to do. (There used to be a creek through there in days of yore before so many trees grew up—it’s on the old maps). DH is afraid of govt goons, though even though “Waters of the Americas” has been nuked. :)yesss:) It is gonna happen next chance we get. Just sayin. For now the tractor can’t go down there in case it gets stuck.

Put a toll booth on the canal for Sightseers and transients.

Back
Top Bottom