Surviving Minnesota!

When are they due?  What breed were they again?  How exciting!!!

Lol they are due... Umm... I guess I dont know for sure... We got them from a guy who got them from an auction... The guy is a cow jockey... But I think they r due between march and may.

There is 3 black cows, 4 red cows and 1 red baldy with tiny red flecks all over her white face. These r all bred to black angus bull. So this year there should be somw baldies in the mix.

Lol they are due... Umm... I guess I dont know for sure... We got them from a guy who got them from an auction... The guy is a cow jockey... But I think they r due between march and may.

There is 3 black cows, 4 red cows and 1 red baldy with tiny red flecks all over her white face. These r all bred to black angus bull. So this year there should be somw baldies in the mix.

Sounds exciting!

The highlands we have on property look like they are starting to show signs of parturition. DH said he saw a tiny bit of goo the other day from one of them. I was looking them over today and one looks like the two back teats are filling up and the front ones are not filled. Definitely obvious. I also saw the baby move big time in her so that was reassuring. Looking forward to seeing these wooly babies!!

Sounds exciting!  

The highlands we have on property look like they are starting to show signs of parturition.  DH said he saw a tiny bit of goo the other day from one of them.  I was looking them over today and one looks like the two back teats are filling up and the front ones are not filled.  Definitely obvious.  I also saw the baby move big time in her so that was reassuring.   Looking forward to seeing these wooly babies!!

Oh I saw a Highland CCP at the state fair and they were so cute! Not big enough for us though... We have 5 kids and two adluts here so we go through alot of beef...

Hopefully these highlands are faster than the herefies were!! Cant wait!

Also the can start having discharge up to a month before calving so it could be awhile.
263a.png

Last edited:
Fine with me if they wait a month.
smile.png
Still too cold to me for babies to come. I would like to see a little warmer temps. Projected to get -10 still tonight and single digits off an on through the week. I would like nighttime temps in double digits if possible before calves come. wishful thinking maybe. March would be a good month for calves I think.

I was doing the same things with her, Massaging her neck and leg and doing a gentle range of motion on the leg.

I was doing the same things with her, Massaging her neck and leg and doing a gentle range of motion on the leg.

I haven't had too much time to read ahead yet this a.m. Ralphie. I would have - eventually began this therapy but when you told me what you were doing it inspired me to do it with tenacity. I am sure she does not have splayed leg but more of a deformity. She has the splayed leg splint deal on and seems to be sitting up straighter this afternoon. I have observed her staying with the roos a little more. Yesterday is was mainly her alone laying somewhere on her side. Today she seems to struggle her way to where they are (she has to use her wings for balance) or they are snuggling with her. And she seems to be sitting up just a little straighter. Hopeful.

I just searched a little bit: wry neck. 5leepy & lacrystol seems to have had good results with vitamin E and polyvisol drops in the first 5 days and hand feeding a to keep them eating (as there's mechanical diificulty in that) by wetting the chick starter. And she said it seems like there's days of no improvement then all of a sudden the neck comes around. The leg being off maybe as a result of the neck. But maybe seperate too.

Ralphie I don't think you are to blame. I think these things happen and it's in a higher persons hands as to how these chicks come out of the egg. Perhaps it was a struggle with the zipping because the chick already had the condition. That's what I think personally.

Plus I get to mother her. I wanted some chicks RIGHT NOW so you and Judy were wise to entice me into nursing her. She sure is bright eyed and chirps loudly enough when she does not like something. Its just the way it is. Things happen - and we met (which I like) and I get to mother (which I like.)

OK here is a thought on waiting time on switching rooster . I have said I remove and save for another week then add a new rooster and wait a week before saving . My friend John Blehm likes to say the daddy is the rooster who bred her yesterday . The reason being that a hen can store semen but last semen in is the first out or used . So the oldest semen expires without being used . You will get all kinds of opinions on this . I did my own test . I have kept setting eggs after removing the rooster . By day 10 fertility dropped and all clear at 14 days . Yes you can get fertility past that but it is rare . I do not trust the bullseye test on eating eggs . I go by development . So for me this works fine . I can usually tell any crosses at hatch . I will remove my white rooster from the black hens today . Getting ready for the next rooster . I will put the Erminett colored rooster in next . I can tell Erminett color at hatch . He will produce 50% Erminett color and 50% blacks from black hens . Blacks will go to the sale barn as EE .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom