Surviving Minnesota!

Rhetts!!! That is awesome!! Do u let your mama cows eat the after birth?? I am so excited. That calf eill have no issues being half mini and half standard. So many people like to have those half and halfs for milking as they r still some what small but will give a little more milk than a full mini!

We should have a calf within the next week. The new baldy has bagfed up and gotten really swollen!!

Amazing you should mention that.. JJ and I wear the same size depends..
lau.gif

On a serious note I moved Andy and his buds outside today. I am a little worried about them.
Are they outside at night too?

Morning all, woot woot, got the girls out in the sun for awhile before it gets cloudy, the sun feDVDralt good on my face too. I agree, more pics of that baby calf please. So cute! And the other two when you get a chance. Got 2 girls laying again now, my golden comet and my BO, so hopefully the others follow suit.I hope to get alot done today, we'll see how it pans out, lol yesterday I spent alot of time watching the girls free range and enjoy themselves. Although cluck-cluck found a piece of rotten earth worm, Fi took it away and ate it.

Morning all, woot woot, got the girls out in the sun for awhile before it gets cloudy, the sun feDVDralt good on my face too. I agree, more pics of that baby calf please. So cute! And the other two when you get a chance. Got 2 girls laying again now, my golden comet and my BO, so hopefully the others follow suit.I hope to get alot done today, we'll see how it pans out, lol yesterday I spent alot of time watching the girls free range and enjoy themselves. Although cluck-cluck found a piece of rotten earth worm, Fi took it away and ate it.

I got 2 eggs yesterday, TWO Turkey eggs. It is about a month early for them. But I have them in the coop with the Creamettes so I am thinking the artificial light set them off. I am going to put them in the incubator and see if they develop. I am hoping they do not. I want my turkey hens to be clean and virginal right now.

UPDATE ON ANDY::

He is alive. I went to check on them, something I was doing for fear of finding dead chicks.

They seemed just fine when I stuck my head in. They are in a steel stock tank about 8 feet long and 3 ft wide. I have a 150 watt light bulb on one end and the Mama cave in the middle of the tank. I was unable to rely completely on the Mama cave, BUT I did take the heat lamp out. I have a piece of plywood over 3/4 of the tank. the light on the open end. ( just covered with hardware cloth) The chicks were all huddle together on the far end of the tank not under or close to the Mama Cave.

I have a thermometer , you all know my thermometer fetish with chicks, (okay I lied, I have 2 thermometers in with them) They are reading 67 and 58 degrees. The chicks are in an area colder then both those and doing fine!

Why did I even worry?

Rhetts!!! That is awesome!! Do u let your mama cows eat the after birth?? I am so excited. That calf eill have no issues being half mini and half standard. So many people like to have those half and halfs for milking as they r still some what small but will give a little more milk than a full mini!

We should have a calf within the next week. The new baldy has bagfed up and gotten really swollen!!

Holm, that is SO exciting to have a calf coming soon!!! Can't wait to see your pictures.

Yes, I let them eat the after birth. I thought they were supposed to. The first one only ate part though so we got rid of the rest but the second Hereford and the highland both cleaned things up. With our wolf problem I thought the moms cleaning things up was the best route. And I thought it was good nutritionally for the mom to eat the after birth. Correct me if I am wrong. I was watching the calf over the video feed (I get too cold standing hours outside so I watch some from inside while my toes thaw) and she was doing really well getting on the teat and nursing. Momma stands there licking her. Makes my heart so full to see!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom