Surviving Minnesota!

Here is a toe punch on left web . Notching tool in box .

A few of the chicks . I took video but do not know how to load it on here . It wants a URL .

So from what I see the whole thing of webbing is gone between toes right? Is that easily discernible as they grow into adults like you can easily tell one toe punch from another or do you have to really look? Your chicks look good sized already. You know like hearty & healthy, not frail.

So from what I see the whole thing of webbing is gone between toes right? Is that easily discernible as they grow into adults like you can easily tell one toe punch from another or do you have to really look? Your chicks look good sized already. You know like hearty & healthy, not frail.
You can tell easily as adults . Can be shown as it is a common marking system and judges know what it is . Mine have to be hearty . I will not pamper chickens . Well not much once they leave the brooder they have to be hearty . They are utility livestock first . I may show them a little but that is about it . They must lay good and reproduce on their own . Any chicken that needs AI to reproduce can't stay here . Even trimming vent feathers to me is wrong . Yes I have done it but I breed for less fluff when encountered .

I have been at my son's a lot this weekend.

The "other Grandpa" took a turn for the worse the other day. It saddens me to tell you he has passed. My Son and DIL have been spending a lot of time with him in the hospital.

I have been performing Grandpa duties. If you want to feel a heart string tug, just try explaining to a 4 year old why people die and have to go to heaven. I am hoping she remembers her other Grandpa when she is older. I even felt a little guilty as he laid dying I was enjoying snuggles and cuddles from our grand kids.

Not looking for condolences are anything, just letting you know we (we meaning DIL's family) can now start healing and getting a more normal life after 2 months of him being in the hospital. It will be different without him at family gatherings.
Sorry Ralphie. He sounded like a good guy. And those kids still have a good Grandpa left too. What lucky Grandkids you have. A bump in the road of life.

I agree with Rhetts, Jerry....those are some beautiful chicks. I'm reserving a couple spots in my coop this summer for those blue egg layers from Illinois. Wow...they're beautiful looking even from the one camera angle! LOL

Sorry Ralphie. He sounded like a good guy. And those kids still have a good Grandpa left too. What lucky Grandkids you have. A bump in the road of life.

I agree with Rhetts, Jerry....those are some beautiful chicks. I'm reserving a couple spots in my coop this summer for those blue egg layers from Illinois. Wow...they're beautiful looking even from the one camera angle! LOL
There were 3 blues in this hatch .

I'm excited for June Babies/Eggs...
big_smile.png
, Jerry. I'll take some of those Ameraucanas if you have them. We'll talk before you come up.

In the top photo SC actually hopped high enough to get onto the water font and then I held her with a finger beside her left leg while she sat. She is supporting her head herself but never would have balanced up there had I not given her support.
The second picture shows SC sitting in a corner of the brooder, always with some chick meal for her to peck at if she wants to. She has pecked but the roos kinds of inspire her to do so with their pecking at the feed. They are about twice her size now. I try to keep her hydrated and give her only a few drops of water / Vita E / Poly vi sol / mixed in with chick feed. She is pooping still but so, so, thin.

Back
Top Bottom