Surviving Minnesota!

My Grandpa makes the best pickled fish. Everyone loves it.... Except I hate pickled fish so am going off what everyone else says....

Ralphie, my barber makes very good pickled Northern, and perhaps would share his recipe with you? You probably know him. He is an Esko native, still lives in rural Esko, and has been known to travel down the highways at speeds exceeding the limits?

It is very possible we are acquainted then .....
lau.gif
I would love to have anyone's recipe. As a northern connoisseur I would take any recipe for northerns. I have even thought about trying to pickle other fish to see if they would pickle better. I do not think the northerns have enough fat when compared to a herring.

hi just a thought . you can buy from auto parts stores empty barrels used for antifreeze or different oils that are blue plastic. Blue absorbs the sun s rays great, not as good as black but good nonetheless. Get some of those barrels ( 5 - 10 bucks,) wash them out and find some small ( 8 year old's fist sized) river rock and fill the barrel with them. Place them opposite either a glass or plastic south facing window and that barrel at the end of the day will defy you to hold your hand on the barrel without being warned off with the heat. that barrell will emit heat all night. and u will find your chickens hugging the barrel at night.

I also use the earth as a berm against the walls. at least 4 feet thick and high . Placed on the north and east walls will insure a 45-55 degree heat sink in your coop which would be very acceptable to the residents during a 20 degree night. IF u have good insulation in your coop, adding a propane light ( encased in a good hardware cloth 360 enclosure) with an empty coffee can on top produces 2000 btu's of heat and is quite effective in warming up the area. there are 90,000 btu's in a gallon of propane approximately, so judiciously used, it will not be cost prohibitive.

good luck and remember to have fun doing it.

Doug

Hi..
Welcome to BYC and this thread. What part of the state are you from? What kind of birds do you have?

I have been at my son's a lot this weekend.

The "other Grandpa" took a turn for the worse the other day. It saddens me to tell you he has passed. My Son and DIL have been spending a lot of time with him in the hospital.

I have been performing Grandpa duties. If you want to feel a heart string tug, just try explaining to a 4 year old why people die and have to go to heaven. I am hoping she remembers her other Grandpa when she is older. I even felt a little guilty as he laid dying I was enjoying snuggles and cuddles from our grand kids.

Not looking for condolences are anything, just letting you know we (we meaning DIL's family) can now start healing and getting a more normal life after 2 months of him being in the hospital. It will be different without him at family gatherings.

i am in the process of trying to buy five austrolops (sp?)hens and one rooster and 25 rIReds and a rooster . im in cold high country with bunches of predators and on solar power so i cant incubate chicks. im looking for birds that are
already laying or close to it.

when i get done ill have chickens , rabbits ( New Zeland whites and a Californian buck) Goats and a young cow to grass feed thru the summer. that will keep me and mine for the winter.

i am in the process of trying to buy five austrolops (sp?)hens and one rooster and 25 rIReds and a rooster . im in cold high country with bunches of predators and on solar power so i cant incubate chicks. im looking for birds that are
already laying or close to it.

when i get done ill have chickens , rabbits ( New Zeland whites and a Californian buck) Goats and a young cow to grass feed thru the summer. that will keep me and mine for the winter.

High Country in Minnesota? Cook County? I have never heard anyone refer to high country in Mn. Way off the grid living. cool.

I am selling them because I have too many different types of birds. I want to narrow it down too 2 types of waterfowl, turkeys and chickens. I love them so much and want them to go to a good home. If your interested in them pm me for prices!
Oh. What two kinds of waterfowl will you have, muscovies and ????? I'd like to take them, but I think one pair is enough to handle right now!
big_smile.png
I hope you find a good home for them.

Back
Top Bottom