Surviving Minnesota!

This is just for seeds that have to go through a bird to grow . In this case the raspberry was the focus . They then need warm stratification then cold stratification . Raspberry are very complicated to grow from seed . This is so I can breed my own crosses for more cold hardy large fruited blackberry . It would be nice if it were the raspberry . This process is to duplicate a bird eating a raspberry the pooing out the seed that then spends the summer in/on the ground followed by cold weather and finally growing come spring/summer .

I did not realize the raspberry needed the warm/cold element. How interesting. I always knew that alot of dispersion is done by birds of course ...but I did not realize there was another physiological process happening with the seed...or that it was needed.

Jerry I have my one thing for the day! Ha!
wink.png

It is a neat thing they are doing with these kids. It's getting pretty big in this state. I think there are some states with bigger followings down south...but in the Midwest....Minnesota is leading the way.

Last edited:

Yesterday was treat day. They got a block of frozen Minnows in ice. Thats there favorite. Tge ducks LOVE minnows so tge two gens who actually kinda like me get quite a few treats. The get good fats from fish/minnows!

I have thought about being in trap shooting... But decided nit too. I still can so who knows maybe next year I will try it...

To those considering straw bale gardening, My wife has a customer that she has done several projects for. The woman is an avid gardener and went to a seminar which included info on straw bale gardens. She was very enthused to give it a try, but after the first year had enough of that novelty.

Bogtown, if you were at the Jack Meade gun club for the trap competition I likely heard every shot your son took. It is approx. a mile and a half from my place with the wind normally in my direction.

Ralphie, depending on how late you are hatching those EEs this spring I may be a buyer for some of the pullets?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...7MqdgSjouTzpCyDEg&sig2=nREKON0L1L01rFT-umB4yg

My grandpa has one of these gardens. We made it last summer and this will be the firat planting in it this spring. Hardly any weeds grew in it over the summer. U might think then how do plants grow if the weeds dont? U need to move the wood chips where u plant!

Btw I am a big Mother earth news nut so I see lots of cool things like this and love the ideas!

Last edited:
I am so excited!! I did my 8th day candling and had two clears (which were bantam eggs), 1 blood ring in a cracked EE egg and 1 clear egg! That is really good I think! They already have homes though!! I hope he will send pics as the chicks grow! I am going to ask him if he will! Cant wait to see the chicks from this roo!! I wont have to candle till day 18 now though
1f622.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom