Surviving Minnesota!

No chicks in the mail today . Three days from Iowa is really poor postal service . Mailed Monday afternoon . They sent it to St. Louis left there last night at 8 something .

Thanks! Where is the pics of Dakota?!!?

Took some this morning
1f601.png

wkgqx5.jpg

ww0ql1.jpg

ifd82r.jpg

Dixie is all set up and her change of venue did not change her needs to be a Momma. (She amazes me) She must have remembered the broody coop and she saw the eggs. She nestled right into her Pizza box there loaded with two eggs and had herself some breakfast.

She is setting on a NH/BLRW egg and a Welsummer egg. In the pizza box I put down pine shavings on the bottom then made a little grass wreath on the spot from nearby swamp grasses. Plucked some Mint, Thyme and Oregano sprouts that were just coming up to sprinkle in her nest and she is good to go. Checked her over for pests as well and she's been keeping herself in shape. No creepy crawlies noted.

The Broody coop needs one wall secured a little better. I noted the screws holding it were iffy. This is in the Run but the run is not predator proof. I usually always have the door open anyways for free ranging. I just wanted to get her going on the eggs. She's been broody a good two weeks. We fiddled around and did this to her last time...but she seemed un phased by the extra time setting. Very very determined, good mother.

She will be spoiled with wet layer mash, and healthy kitchen scraps the next 3 weeks or so.

we are excited to see the NH/BLRW mixed chick. The Wellie too of course.

Yep! My Great Grandparents hand milked 12 Holsteins 2 times a day so I figure I should be able to milk 1 Jersey once a day! My Great Grandma was even out milking tye night before she had my great uncle! Lol

Lady and her cute little baby. She gave 1 gallon of milk yesterday from 1 quarter so we only took half a gallon from her other quarter. And little baby gets hind quarters! All in all we got 1½ gallons!

I wonder if I can fit a calf in the back of my vehicle? I'll have to put down the 5th row seating. Or take the truck.....or bring a trailer. Lol

If you lose sight of me I'll be in the barn.

Last edited:
She looks like shes closer than May 3rd? Could we get udder pics? Or just closer up? Anyways shes BEAUTIFUL!!

Her udder is naturally lopsided, so it always looks big on one side. May 3 is from an ultrasound.
I can get udder pictures after school

I wonder if I can fit a calf in the back of my vehicle? I'll have to put down the 5th row seating. Or take the truck.....or bring a trailer. Lol

If you lose sight of me I'll be in the barn.

Lol that calf loves scratches! But she is our future milk cow so not for sale!! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom