Surviving Minnesota!

Hahaha!
I'm glad you got your chicks. I may have considered bringing both boxes home, too.
wink.png

The mama cow reminds me a lot of myself in labor! I'm dying of laughter!
I'm glad that calf figured it out
smile.png

Bogtown. I feel you. ((Hugs))
Sometimes, I think I could just drive off and come back in a couple days to see how things are going. But all the livestock would be dead, right? LOL
So these are "quail waterers". I might try them for the rabbits.

Is that red zip tie holding anything together? Or is it more of a caution flag?

I like the springy thing.

I'm thinking you take the dish out each time & pop it on a fresh water bottle & flip over & reinstall? Or is it wet outside the cage from spillage?

Looks neat! Thanks for sharing the link.

Nice chicks! I love the stripey ones the best, in the fuzzy stage.

The red zip tie is to keep them from pecking each other. It grabs their attention and they peck at it. I did it as a diversion and it worked, so now I keep them there.

They still peck at each others toes and beaks, like chicks do, but the tie does help keep them busy.

The spring comes in the waterer from Gun Dog.

The chick that is photo bombing and staring right in the camera is the one that insists on being held every night. She is a SS. They are just so curious. Her life is changing in next day or two. She is moving to a stock tank. I have eggs that should start hatching today, nothing pipped yet, but when they hatch she is moving out. I am thinking This next week I will be moving all chicks outside, Future hatches will be lucky to get a day in the house. They will go from hatcher to outdoors.

I will be gald when this wet cold ends, my knees have been killing me. Holm I wish I had your knees your age instead of my age.

I have to do Grandpa daycare this afternoon, So not much will get done around here today again. I am just too big of a pushover when it comes to doing Grandpa Daycare.. I am thinking my Grand daughter might not be happy with me today.

The kids have a small trampoline thingy they play on. It is in the house, sort of like those exercise trampoline things they sold a few years back. It has a hand rail to hold onto. Viv, (my grand daughter) decided to make a "slide" out of it by putting it on the leather ottoman and helping Cal (grandson) slide down the trampoline. I put a stop to this. Viv said Mommy lets us do this...... I said I would check with her....

Then they decided to crawl under it and she was lifting it with her feet, or knees. I asked her what she was doing. She said "playing Hercules".... all I could see was the thing slipping and falling and a leg going through Cal's head. So I put a stop to that.. The response was " Daddy lets us do this"

When I asked " really" She said they do it all the time. I said I would check with Daddy...

I did check with Daddy... his response was " they were doing what'?

Then he told my DIL what they were doing and that I had asked is that allowed..... I think her response was sarcasm.. She said,, " Yeah, we let them do that right after they have played with the kitchen knifes"..... Viv got a talking too, I guess she was not happy grandpa snitched her out....

Could be a cool reception today.

The pop bottle water cups which Ralphie is using are available from many sources. The pigeon supply companies usually sell them for $12,95 a doz. I think, and that normally includes the spring or wire to secure the bottle.

It sounds as if Coffee had quite an adventure with the turkeys. Hopefully their next free range event is closer to home, perhaps they were on the way back to Ralphie's this first time?

I trained Porter to escape and come home, I was going to try and sell the same bird a few times to Coffee.

Do the waterers from the pigeon supply places look the same as mine do? That is a good price I should get more of them. I think I am going to use them as my main waterers for chicks. I might even use them next winter for the chickens. If I get a few of the large gallon pop bottles I could just could just bring a new waterer out to the coop everyday, let them freeze and exchange them the next morning. My chickens don't drink 2 gallons of water a day during the winter and those would be easier to fill and replace than the founts are, and I would not have to heat the waterers like I did this winter.

I am going to try and figure out something to catch the spillage from under the those waterers in my chick pens too to help keep them dry. I sometime think the chicks have water fights when I am not looking they can get everything wet!

No I will search again today for a little while . Good thing is I didn't see a pile of turkey feathers anywhere so my fingers are xx'ed she is still ok..

Maybe she found a group of wild turkeys?? Idk maybe she found a spot to make a nest and is living out there til she has a big enough clutch? Maybe she will bring u babies... Best of luck!

Maybe she found a group of wild turkeys?? Idk maybe she found a spot to make a nest and is living out there til she has a big enough clutch? Maybe she will bring u babies... Best of luck!

I am thinking she made a nest and is just sitting. She probably needed to lay an egg and just never got off it. Or got separated for the rest. With this cold they sit on the eggs without incubating them somehow, just to keep them from freezing overnight.

My hens are all on the edge or going broody. Judy is off work tomorrow, if we do not have heavy snow tomorrow I am going to have her help me isolate hens on their nests and check eggs to see who has what. I do not want to let a year old turkey sit on a lot of eggs the first time. They have very poor hatch rates, they get bored and stop hatching.

I have 3x6 panels made up with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. when they have decided to set, I put the panels around them and make a cage for the hens inside the guinea gulag. The guinea gulag has poultry netting so poults can get out and a nasty critter could get in if it really wanted too. The "cage" makes it safer and it keeps the hens from fighting when the poults hatch. It only takes about 15 minutes to put the cage together so it is worth the time and effort. It is a cage within a cage....

I trained Porter to escape and come home, I was going to try and sell the same bird a few times to Coffee.

Do the waterers from the pigeon supply places look the same as mine do? That is a good price I should get more of them. I think I am going to use them as my main waterers for chicks. I might even use them next winter for the chickens. If I get a few of the large gallon pop bottles I could just could just bring a new waterer out to the coop everyday, let them freeze and exchange them the next morning. My chickens don't drink 2 gallons of water a day during the winter and those would be easier to fill and replace than the founts are, and I would not have to heat the waterers like I did this winter.

I am going to try and figure out something to catch the spillage from under the those waterers in my chick pens too to help keep them dry. I sometime think the chicks have water fights when I am not looking they can get everything wet!

Your sales plan is very admirable!

I know you don't do ducks, but I tried this little idea yesterday as they're very messy:

There's no water in the rocks. They're just not that smart =) It actually collected most of the water and the rocks keep it in place. I want to try something similar with the chicks.

Do the waterers from the pigeon supply places look the same as mine do?  That is a good price I should get  more of them.  I think I am going to use them as my main waterers for chicks.  I might even use them next winter for the chickens. If I get a few  of  the large gallon pop bottles I could just could just bring a new waterer out to the coop everyday, let them freeze and exchange them the next morning.  My chickens don't drink 2 gallons of water a day during the winter and those would be easier to fill and replace than the founts are, and I would not have to heat the waterers like I did this winter. 

You might want to run some experiments to see how those waterers hold up to freezing before you commit to that. Try putting them in the freezer. I would be curious to see if they cracked around the threads or something when the water expands.

If they are anything like the water bottles we used to use for rabbits the narrow part of the neck freezes quickly so even though the bottle is full of liquid it can't flow down to the cup.

Your sales plan is very admirable! I know you don't do ducks, but I tried this little idea yesterday as they're very messy: There's no water in the rocks. They're just not that smart =) It actually collected most of the water and the rocks keep it in place. I want to try something similar with the chicks.
Those little ducks are just so cute!!

Your sales plan is very admirable!

I know you don't do ducks, but I tried this little idea yesterday as they're very messy:

There's no water in the rocks. They're just not that smart =) It actually collected most of the water and the rocks keep it in place. I want to try something similar with the chicks.

You have a great idea there. I could put the waterer in the middle of a pan filled with the chick grit. The water would collect under the grit and the chicks could eat grit!

I could put a little ACV in the grit to control algae. When I see water in the rocks I just dump it!!

Thanks for the great Idea.

Back
Top Bottom