Surviving Minnesota!

Well all those farmhouse decor magazine layouts should see what a “farmhouse” really looks like during “garden is all ready at the same time” time of year. My kitchen is over flowing with produce ready to be processed. This afternoon/evening was freezing two laundry baskets of corn(before the husking two baskets). But there are piles of beans and tomatoes along side the jars lids and rings! The hot water bath can we also sits along side the stove waiting to be needed again. My feet and back are not thanking me for all the standing around either. I’ve been told everything starts going wrong once you hit the 4-0. Well 5 months to go and it feels like it is already starting. I don’t really feel that old! But it is odd to actually reflect on one’s age. But realizing my age was not the end to what we did either! We also pulled nearly all of the onions to dry before storing and dug about half of the potatoes! My plants have died and dried up already! I got them in pretty early though too. The rest will wait until I have used up what I have dug. It was a busy day. My legs are crying. Did I say that already?

I fail to see the point of doing dishes from one person daily. I put the days bowl in the fridge....
or I put a splash of bleach in the dishsink water. Keeps the water from turning black and smelly for days.
I just let whatever dish/bowl I am using dry and then use it again. At the worst, I will rinse it off before letting it dry.

Well all those farmhouse decor magazine layouts should see what a “farmhouse” really looks like during “garden is all ready at the same time” time of year. My kitchen is over flowing with produce ready to be processed. This afternoon/evening was freezing two laundry baskets of corn(before the husking two baskets). But there are piles of beans and tomatoes along side the jars lids and rings! The hot water bath can we also sits along side the stove waiting to be needed again. My feet and back are not thanking me for all the standing around either. I’ve been told everything starts going wrong once you hit the 4-0. Well 5 months to go and it feels like it is already starting. I don’t really feel that old! But it is odd to actually reflect on one’s age. But realizing my age was not the end to what we did either! We also pulled nearly all of the onions to dry before storing and dug about half of the potatoes! My plants have died and dried up already! I got them in pretty early though too. The rest will wait until I have used up what I have dug. It was a busy day. My legs are crying. Did I say that already?
Wow, that was like reading my week!! Lol, twins!
Only I have something feasting on my ripe tomatoes..... only the 100 percent ripe, the 99% ripe are left intact, so those are the ones I’m bringing in!

Wow, that was like reading my week!! Lol, twins!
Only I have something feasting on my ripe tomatoes..... only the 100 percent ripe, the 99% ripe are left intact, so those are the ones I’m bringing in!
I also have been bringing in the almost ripe. I think birds, not chickens, are getting them or mice. With plenty of farm cats running about that really shouldn’t be a problem but even exposed potatoes have been nibbles on. While the chickens love a ripe tomato I have them fenced in while the garden is coming to fruition.
Twins you say! Too bad my actual twins don’t enjoy helping me as much as the enjoy eating what I preserve.

It does appear that my dominque hatch was close to 50/50 male/female. I rehomed one boy already and will be sending another of soon. I do believe it was 7 boys and 6 girls. I only want the girls. I also have just as many boys in an older batch of barnyard mixes. Orrock township seems to like roosters though. Maybe. A road trip for a dump and run should be scheduled. St Judy may never forgive me even with family blood!

I also have been bringing in the almost ripe. I think birds, not chickens, are getting them or mice. With plenty of farm cats running about that really shouldn’t be a problem but even exposed potatoes have been nibbles on. While the chickens love a ripe tomato I have them fenced in while the garden is coming to fruition.
Twins you say! Too bad my actual twins don’t enjoy helping me as much as the enjoy eating what I preserve.
If that was happening here, I would say it was voles.

Like r2elk, Voles get my potatoes too

Back
Top Bottom