Suspected internal layer? Enlarged abdomenal area, 1yo BO

Quote:
How is your chicken doing? Mine is still kicking. She actually is getting better. Bum is cleaned up and feathers are growing back, she is still not laying but that is fine with me. It makes me wonder still what was wrong with her.

Misti

Same here! I've taken to calling her Sicky McChicken. (they all have identities, but not real names- Runty, Broody, Big Comb and Little Comb/Sicky) She spent about 4 days just sitting on the coop floor not moving and I thought for sure she was done, and then on then fifth or so day, she got up and went outside! Slowly everyday making more progress. She still doesn't have the vigor that the others do, but she's hanging in there- I don't hold out much hope that she'll ever lay again, which is OK with me. I knew she was definitely on the up and up when she started showing an interest in getting on the roost at night- a few nights we had to lift her up, and then she started doing it again on her own. She just started showing an interest in treats again. I think that her body has told her to stop producing eggs- she acts like they all did before they started laying. She's not as friendly, harder to catch, and doesn't squat down like all the others do. I think her hormones must have changed- her body finally realizing something isn't right? I know that internal layers can absorb the yolks in their abdomen if they stop producing eggs and don't get an infection... perhaps this is what happened? I thought for sure she had an infection, but she's definitely improving. And I can feel her crop and know she's eating, and she's definitely an active participant in free ranging time in the yard...even doing some running/flying around. She still has some swelling in her belly, and I had to give her a bath to clean her back end up a bit- she didn't much care for it, but tolerated it and has stayed clean since. See what happens when you let nature run it's course? Sometimes nature can take care of itself! Sure glad I didn't cull! Sounds like whatevers going on, we've got two cases of it! Glad to hear your situation is improving as well. I worried about her during the last week and a half, we've been having a horrible heat wave here in Massachusetts- last week the temps teetered near 100 for several days, this week it's a bit cooler but the air is so thick you have to chew it.

Sicky McChicken started laying again! After a 4-month hiatus and a visit to death's doorstep, my internal layer produced a small, but perfectly-formed brown egg yesterday! It's very small for my girls, and probably similar to the size they started laying as pullets. Guess she has to start over and work her way back up to full-size eggs. But now I'm going to be worrying anytime she skips a day, that she's laying internally again. Such is the life of a devoted chicken keeper....

Back
Top Bottom