Suspected Respiratory Illness (possible MG) Running in the Flock (Brought on by Heat??)

If I were to cull the roosters, that takes care of the chance of them spreading it, as I’ve deemed them unusable for breeding and hatching/selling fertile eggs (due to the suspected MG).
I am fully versed on how it’s spread. That isn’t the issue here.
Just a sounding board back at you - things to think through.

This is not meant to argue but for you to step back and consider everything. I can't imagine what you are going through right now.
Pray if you are person of faith. Take a deep breath, do your research, do your testing, then slowly begin to make your decision(s).

I've pulled a few quotes from you - again - not arguing, just making some observations, and asking questions for you to mull over...

Culling roosters would take care of the roosters themselves spreading disease, less birds to spread it right?
You wouldn't have fertile eggs that's true, so you wouldn't have to worry about "hatching eggs". MG is transmitted both vertically and horizontally, as you are versed, but bear with me. Vertically means it's transmitted transovarian, so it's transmitted into an egg (fertile or not) through the reproductive system. Horizontal is bird to bird, through dust/dander/feathers/clothes, etc. etc.

Again bear with me. While classic clinical symptoms are respiratory and symptoms are "treatable" with antibiotics, the disease affects the reproductive system, this can cause a decrease in production, inflammation of the oviduct (Salpingitis), etc.
I recommend that you search for and read up of the Effects of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum on reproductive system poultry. It's a lot to digest.

You may find that your egg quality is great with an MG positive flock, but you may also run into quality issues so you'll want to check periodically. You want your customers to be happy with the quality of the eggs. Another consideration is since the disease is transmitted through the oviduct, is it on the shell of the egg ? it certainly would be in the albumin and in the yolk right? - does one need to do a dip to treat eggs before customers pick them up?

If I wanted to keep all the hens/pullets strictly for selling farm fresh eggs (and using the eggs to feed our family as well), then I keep a closed flock (no new birds, nor selling birds).

If I wanted to get new chicks, to have strictly for the purposes of building my breeding pens, I would need to keep them totally separate from my laying flock; correct?
Is it practical/doable for you to have separate flock and be able to NOT transfer disease from one flock to another?

How much space do you have?
Do you have visitors to your farm?
Will your family, employees, customers, etc. be able to adhere to biosecurity measures you put into place?

Dust, dander, feathers, shoes, clothes, equipment....are all potential sources of transmission. How will you manage this?

@Eggcessive ... Question can MS/MG be spread by our clothing, touch, foot wear, supplies, etc ...
Yes, it is. It lasts about 3 days on surfaces, clothes, hair, shoes. By direct contact, droppings, and passes through hatching eggs.That is why I recommend reading those articles, because they explain how it is spread.

Just a sounding board back at you - things to think through.

This is not meant to argue but for you to step back and consider everything. I can't imagine what you are going through right now.
Pray if you are person of faith. Take a deep breath, do your research, do your testing, then slowly begin to make your decision(s).

I've pulled a few quotes from you - again - not arguing, just making some observations, and asking questions for you to mull over...

Culling roosters would take care of the roosters themselves spreading disease, less birds to spread it right?
You wouldn't have fertile eggs that's true, so you wouldn't have to worry about "hatching eggs". MG is transmitted both vertically and horizontally, as you are versed, but bear with me. Vertically means it's transmitted transovarian, so it's transmitted into an egg (fertile or not) through the reproductive system. Horizontal is bird to bird, through dust/dander/feathers/clothes, etc. etc.

Again bear with me. While classic clinical symptoms are respiratory and symptoms are "treatable" with antibiotics, the disease affects the reproductive system, this can cause a decrease in production, inflammation of the oviduct (Salpingitis), etc.
I recommend that you search for and read up of the Effects of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum on reproductive system poultry. It's a lot to digest.

You may find that your egg quality is great with an MG positive flock, but you may also run into quality issues so you'll want to check periodically. You want your customers to be happy with the quality of the eggs. Another consideration is since the disease is transmitted through the oviduct, is it on the shell of the egg ? it certainly would be in the albumin and in the yolk right? - does one need to do a dip to treat eggs before customers pick them up?

Is it practical/doable for you to have separate flock and be able to NOT transfer disease from one flock to another?

How much space do you have?
Do you have visitors to your farm?
Will your family, employees, customers, etc. be able to adhere to biosecurity measures you put into place?

Dust, dander, feathers, shoes, clothes, equipment....are all potential sources of transmission. How will you manage this?
Thank you SO much!! This is exactly why I posted about this! I really appreciate your sounding board back to me, and you make some fabulous points.

Yesterday, I had a lengthy call with the Poultry Pathologist, Dr. Sharon Davis from UPenn, and we have an actionable plan to do PCR testing and a few necropsies as well.

Then, and only then, with results hopefully comes solice in a decision to move forward.

After mulling everything over, and knowing that MG could be spread again to a new flock from even wild birds, I still feel it would be best to completely start over - IF the birds test positive for MG.

Thank you SO much!! This is exactly why I posted about this! I really appreciate your sounding board back to me, and you make some fabulous points.

Yesterday, I had a lengthy call with the Poultry Pathologist, Dr. Sharon Davis from UPenn, and we have an actionable plan to do PCR testing and a few necropsies as well.

Then, and only then, with results hopefully comes solice in a decision to move forward.

After mulling everything over, and knowing that MG could be spread again to a new flock from even wild birds, I still feel it would be best to completely start over - IF the birds test positive for MG.
Let us know what you find out.

I'm hopeful that it's not MG!

It would really be worth it for you to get a couple of sick birds tested, or to sacrifice one or two to your state vet for testing and a necropsy. It never helps to make plans before you know exactly what disease(s) you are dealing with. I would do some reading from reputable sources on how MG and other mycoplasmas are spread:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS034

https://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/201395.pdf

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-infection-in-poultry
These resources are invaluable and I really appreciate you sharing! Finally had a chance to sit and read them, and definitely were spot on.

After, now, starting day 1 treatment for Salpingitis of my oldest layer (just turns 3 1/2 yes), I am 95% positive it has been MG in my flock since early March, and the heat stress could’ve have just brought out the worst in them.

It’s sad knowing that in reputable “non-profits” such as the one I picked up 10 laying hens from, even call themselves ethical people - as I am sure that is where this was introduced to my flock.

After speaking with the Poultry Pathologist from UPenn and doing further research from accredited hospitals and studies, I definitely need to cull the whole flock and start over - following pcr testing, necropsies, and of course a brief period of time.

Ideally, I’d like to start over this fall with all new chicks or fertile hatching egg from the breeders I know and trust, and I think that’s the best plan for my long term goals for our farm business growth as well.

Thank you so much for your input and recommendations!

If you suspect MG, then treating those that are symptomatic with Tylosin can be done.

I have no idea what dosing for Colloidal Silver is.

MG is not a reportable disease, so get testing to find out what you are dealing with. If you do have MG, then close your flock for your own personal use or cull all and start over. Sounds harsh, but do you really want to sell birds or eggs that will carry disease? MG is spread through to the embryo in eggs.

Contact your state lab or you can use an independent lab to get testing.

https://www.zoologix.com/
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
I’m reading I’m the zoological site… if I’m understanding correctly they want a throat swab?
If you suspect MG, then treating those that are symptomatic with Tylosin can be done.

I have no idea what dosing for Colloidal Silver is.

MG is not a reportable disease, so get testing to find out what you are dealing with. If you do have MG, then close your flock for your own personal use or cull all and start over. Sounds harsh, but do you really want to sell birds or eggs that will carry disease? MG is spread through to the embryo in eggs.

Contact your state lab or you can use an independent lab to get testing.

https://www.zoologix.com/
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
any idea how the testing works? I’m reading zoologix site and it sounds like a throat swab using a qtip will suffice?

Of course,I can call and ask them this silly question but hopefully someone can chime in and dumb it down for me.

Back
Top Bottom