Suspended chicken coop- why not?

You need a stouter branch than that. If they can wrap their toes all the way around the branch, they are not going to be comfortable roosting on it. If they are not comfortable on yheir roost, they are going to continue sleeping and pooping in the nests.

What? Since their feet aren't anywhere near 6 inches from hind toe to front middle, I'm inclined to say that they can't wrap their toes all the way around. Did anyone look at the picture?

Edit: Added picture again for reference.

20160323_164025.jpg

Last edited:
It's true that there are mixed opinions on flat or round for roosting...and both can work.
If they won't roost on the round, try something flat.
Without going all the way back thru the thread...are these ex-batt birds?

It's true that there are mixed opinions on flat or round for roosting...and both can work.
If they won't roost on the round, try something flat.
Without going all the way back thru the thread...are these ex-batt birds?

Don't know what ex-batt means. They're golden comets/red sex links that I got from a local feed store as pullets.

I do not care whether they are round or flat, I do think they should be wider maybe a 3-4 inch diameter. Chickens roost but they are not perching birds. Chickens can perch, but it is not their natural state. IMHO. Also in cold wet temps you want the chicken to settle down on its feet to keep the toes warm. They cannot do that if the diameter is too small.

I am feeling for you Energizer. I get the feeling you think we are "picking" on you when we offer other suggestions. Trust me that is not the case, we are just trying to help you not make the mistakes many of us made. There is no doubt the chickens can get by on the branch you put in there.

We just think it could be better than getting by for the birds. I cannot tell you how many of my birds, mainly chicks< have died because I misread something they did, had or needed.

Hang in their your doing good, and do not stop asking here. You might want to join your state pages too, they have lots of ideas that work in your area. You can also get to meet some of them. In our state thread we have become a pretty tight bunch and actually see each other in person once in a while.

This is by far not my first rodeo on a forum, but I'm just trying to throw off the mixed information. One thread I read on here said sticks taper and offer a choice of where to sit, so I figured I'd go that route.

It made little sense when it was suggested that I replace a stick that's 2 or so (maybe bigger on the end, don't know) inches in diameter with a 1.5" piece of lumber because the stick was "too small" compared to the 2x4. Everything says "not big enough to wrap feet around" and a 2" diameter is about 6" in circumference- leaving the birds'feet only wrapped half way around.

My ultimate solution is a coop of 4x4x4' with a run directly beneath 2'tall, but I'm trying to get them to stop crapping in the nesting boxes until that's built.

Last edited:
This is by far not my first rodeo on a forum, but I'm just trying to throw off the mixed information. One thread I read on here said sticks taper and offer a choice of where to sit, so I figured I'd go that route.

It made little sense when it was suggested that I replace a stick that's 2 or so (maybe bigger on the end, don't know) inches in diameter with a 1.5" piece of lumber because the stick was "too small" compared to the 2x4. Everything says "not big enough to wrap feet around" and a 2" diameter is about 6" in circumference- leaving the birds'feet only wrapped half way around.

My ultimate solution is a coop of 4x4x4' with a run directly beneath 2'tall, but I'm trying to get them to stop crapping in the nesting boxes until that's built.

Quote:
I believe they more often prefer a wider, flatter surface to sleep on.
Most of my bird sleep on the 3.5" wide surface rather than the 1.5" on the edge of my roost/board combo.

That looks pretty good......hopefully after a few nights with the nests blocked they will habituate to sleeping on roost.
Just the 3 birds?

That looks pretty good......hopefully after a few nights with the nests blocked they will habituate to sleeping on roost.
Just the 3 birds?
Yes only 3. It's unclear as to whether I'm legally allowed to have chickens, so I have to keep my operation low key with few birds and only hens. Also means I don't have to keep large facilities for them.

Back
Top Bottom