Thank you for your input!
I think I need to look into the breed more. It sounds like they have a lot of the things I look for in a chicken.
One thing I forgot, one of mine did lay a lot of thing shelled eggs for a while.
None of the others do, and she is now laying good eggs again.
I imagine it was just a glitch with that hen though...

Orginally I can't say where it came from! It's possible it was Thor to begin with, but I have no idea. Spices has the dark legs (Thor might be her father otherwise it was the other buff rooster I had, they both came from the same place.) And I learnt from some of the members here that Thor is Id/id+ , split for dark shanks!
That is very interesting! I am finding it very hard to learn what all the Id/id+ and things mean, but I think I'm getting there...slowly.
Markings wise I like no. 2, I am not super confident judging confirmation by picture.
That agrees with what I was thinking.
I prefer 2s confirmation, (and I know what you mean about it being hard in photos) so I think she is the keeper.
I will wait a bit longer, just to be on the safe side.

That is very interesting! I am finding it very hard to learn what all the Id/id+ and things mean, but I think I'm getting there...slowly.
I am slowly getting it too, I've played around with the calculator for my Barny project. It'll make it so much easier then just breeding random chickens together :p
I doubt I'll ever understand it all, but some is better then none!

I did, I gave her a calcium tablet almost every day for a month, I think.
Nothing seemed to help, until she went broody.
And then when she started laying again, the eggs were perfect!
Maybe she just needed a rest,
Wow, I've never heard anything quite like that before. Glad she's laying better for you now though!

Checking in!

The Speckled Sussex bantam chicks are growing fast, will be 12 weeks old on Monday. They look like adults for the most part though their plumage isn't there yet. I queried a couple breeders online and was told to not worry about a lot of white as it's chick feathers, and to expect adult plumage around 5-6 months.

One expressed a caution about keeping a rooster that has "stippling" in its feathers, as it's hard to get rid of once it's in the flock. Do any of you have a decent picture/example of what I should be looking for in the feathers? When I did a web search I got lots of quilting pictures of "stippling" as results. Ack.

I've got to rehome most of the cockerels (I wound up with seven!!!!) and have come to the conclusion that body type is going to be my best way to choose which to keep. The boy in my avatar is my top pick, not by personality (standoffish) but because his body looks full and blocky. I think he's the closest one to the standard.

Here's a larger image of "Red":
051023 Red.jpg

Any input by those with knowledge and/or experience would be appreciated.

@fuzzi sorry bout not being able to make any comments on your boys! I don't feel confident to comment on them based off photos. They are absolutely stunning though and you making me want SS... as well as some bantam sussex 😅.

Came to share some photos.
Spices. After I use her to test breed with Rodney she'll be retired from the sussex breeding (I'll be keeping her as an emergency backup plus she has already proven herself a wonderful broody).
20230530_131017.jpg

Two of the three pullets I am keeping from her.
20230530_130923.jpg

One of my four eldest pullets I believe, still waiting on any of them to start laying :pop
20230526_170226~2.jpg

@fuzzi sorry bout not being able to make any comments on your boys! I don't feel confident to comment on them based off photos. They are absolutely stunning though and you making me want SS... as well as some bantam sussex 😅.

Came to share some photos.
Spices. After I use her to test breed with Rodney she'll be retired from the sussex breeding (I'll be keeping her as an emergency backup plus she has already proven herself a wonderful broody).
View attachment 3522712
Two of the three pullets I am keeping from her.
View attachment 3522713
One of my four eldest pullets I believe, still waiting on any of them to start laying :pop
View attachment 3522714
Stunning, do you have photos of our Buff Sussex Roosters please?

Back
Top Bottom