@Sussex19 thought you might be interested in how my Sussex X Barnvelder was growing. The pattern is very interesting.
'He' is very interesting! Do you think it will be kind of silvery later on?
I'm afraid it looks like a cockerel to me as well :(
Also I learnt from this cross that (most likely) the sussex pullets I bought are hiding reccessive yellow skin :th
Ohh...not good. Yellow skin does seem very good at cropping up where its unwanted, I seem to have some somewhere, as one of my pullets had yellow legs. (I culled that one)

'He' is very interesting! Do you think it will be kind of silvery later on?
I'm afraid it looks like a cockerel to me as well :(
Unfortunately I seem to be quite good at sexing my chicks early, or at least picking up on the fast maturing cockerels. The one Silver barnevelder also appears to be a cockerel, which didn't really surprise me. So that's two boys out of six so far.

Genetically the colour is "silver" so he'll probably look similar to a Light sussex but with some lacing. If he is indeed a male he'll carry the buff too, and maybe have some leakage.
Ohh...not good. Yellow skin does seem very good at cropping up where its unwanted, I seem to have some somewhere, as one of my pullets had yellow legs. (I culled that one)
I don't remember which pen I got the egg from so I am hoping it is not from my line :fl
But I also remember there being one yellow legged pullet that went to a family member and a couple yellow legged cockerels, so high chance it's the ones I bought.
It helped me decide to sell two of the eldest pullets (bought ones), and then I guess I'll test breed the ones I have left. I'd rather remove the yellow skin now if i can then deal with it popping up later.

Spices is a momma again :love
20231027_120045.jpg
20231027_120031.jpg

My brand new Speckled Sussex bantam chicks all seem to have yellow legs although the adults that created them have white legs. :sigh:

I'll just let them produce eggs for eating.
Oh no! Yellow skin is the worst! I'm in the process of removing a few hens I have who seem to have it from my breeding. Definitly were the sussex eggs and not your other ones? (sorry I've lost track of your thread and can't remember what they're called :oops: )

Oh no! Yellow skin is the worst! I'm in the process of removing a few hens I have who seem to have it from my breeding. Definitly were the sussex eggs and not your other ones? (sorry I've lost track of your thread and can't remember what they're called :oops: )
Dominiques. One chick is black, came from a egg that I thought was Sussex. It's okay, I will find him a home.

I asked about genetics here and got a long and wonderful reply about yellow legs being a recessive gene, so the rooster and at least one of my hens have it, threw it in this batch of chicks.

Dominiques. One chick is black, came from a egg that I thought was Sussex. It's okay, I will find him a home.

I asked about genetics here and got a long and wonderful reply about yellow legs being a recessive gene, so the rooster and at least one of my hens have it, threw it in this batch of chicks.
You could keep a couple of those yellow legged birds to use to test hatch with your whited legged birds. If any of the offspring have yellow legs, you will know that your white legged parent is carrying the recessive gene for yellow legs.

Back
Top Bottom