Sussex chicks - yellow legs?

A roo or two

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 16, 2013
Florida
I own a SS roo and 3 SS hens. I have hatched out 4 SS chicks and all have yellow legs and combs? Will they lighten as they mature? Or should they have been pinkish upon hatch? All my adults have pinkish/white/skin colored legs.

I have other hens but my other hens are CS (which make sexlinks), RSL (older girls, large eggs, so not their babies as I don't hatch from them) and the rest of my girls lay pink, green or blue eggs. So no possible chance they belong to anyone else.

I own a SS roo and 3 SS hens. I have hatched out 4 SS chicks and all have yellow legs and combs? Will they lighten as they mature? Or should they have been pinkish upon hatch? All my adults have pinkish/white/skin colored legs.

I have other hens but my other hens are CS (which make sexlinks), RSL (older girls, large eggs, so not their babies as I don't hatch from them) and the rest of my girls lay pink, green or blue eggs. So no possible chance they belong to anyone else.
The standard Sussex breed should have pinkish-white colored legs, so your adult birds are quality there. To answer your question, the chicks' yellow legs will turn pinkish-white in a matter of time. A lot of breeds start out with a different leg/shank/foot color when they are chicks. The standard adult Barred Plymouth Rock has yellow legs, but the chicks start out with grey legs.

The standard Sussex breed should have pinkish-white colored legs, so your adult birds are quality there. To answer your question, the chicks' yellow legs will turn pinkish-white in a matter of time. A lot of breeds start out with a different leg/shank/foot color when they are chicks. The standard adult Barred Plymouth Rock has yellow legs, but the chicks start out with grey legs. 

I sure hope they change. It just threw me since I know the parents and yet I got yellow legs. My roo I had at 3 weeks, his legs were already pinkish white but my pullets I got at 5 months so IDK what they looked like as chicks. Thanks for the response.

Back
Top Bottom