Sussex mauled by a cat, not eating

She is about 5-6months, not laying
No foul odors, no scratches or wounds really just that swollen eye. She lost a ton of feathers but no other wounds thankfully!

I will try some feed!

It sounds like she was Point of Lay before her traumatic injury. She may be blind, and a blind bird won't know where the food and water is.

Still having to syringe feed. :/ but she's opening both eyes sometimes and looks like she's looking around. She talks. But doesn't try to walk around much. She gets up to the coop at night by herself but doesn't like to come down. I think she's scared of heights lol! She pooped on me tonight, it was green. I think someone mentioned before possible infection? The on,y thing I could think of is maybe she had something brewing before the injury and the trauma itself weakened her immune system to allow for a possible GI infection? Idk any insight?

Green poop can sometimes be an indication of infection. It can also indicate not eating enough as well. Without testing, there's no way to know for sure. Since you are still having to syringe feed her, we can only guess the green poop may be from that.

Are you directly syringing the food into the crop or are you syringing it so she can take it bit by bit?

Syringe feeding through her mouth, so bit by bit. I haven't dropped a tube down.

She came down from the coop on her own today AND she started to try to find food. She was so close!!

Attachments

• IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    764.6 KB · Views: 6
Sounds like she's trying to recover! :yesss:

I suspect lack of food being the primary cause of the green poo. Although infection is possible, that's not what the current evidence points to.

I wonder if you've narrowed down your predator yet?

Syringe feeding through her mouth, so bit by bit. I haven't dropped a tube down.

She came down from the coop on her own today AND she started to try to find food. She was so close!!
:wee:love:thumbsup

TODAY SHE FOUND FOOD!! She is most definitely almost blind, she can see shapes I think. She keeps both eyes open now too.
She follows my other chicken around and finally realized what my other chicken was doing. Eating!! She's actively foraging in the run too.
Ahh this is a happy day!

Attachments

• IMG_4168.JPG
    IMG_4168.JPG
    858.5 KB · Views: 4
She looks so much better!

I'm glad she is improving. It sounds like she is learning to adapt. You may want to monitor her weight just to make sure she is getting enough food, but it sounds like she is going to do just fine.

You did great taking care of her:)

TODAY SHE FOUND FOOD!! She is most definitely almost blind, she can see shapes I think. She keeps both eyes open now too.
She follows my other chicken around and finally realized what my other chicken was doing. Eating!! She's actively foraging in the run too.
Ahh this is a happy day!
:celebrate:woot SO nice that her friend is being gentle with her. :love

Congratulations on her recovery! :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom