Svart Hona rooster

shaileen

Chirping
May 9, 2022
I purchased a svart Hona rooster and 3 hens yesterday, the rooster looks like he has a rose comb but is still completely black, the breeder also said he was denailed as a chick…. But still has his spurs… after some research I’m starting to think he either got frost bite at some point or isn’t actually svart Hona, is there any completely black chickens with rose combs, I’ve search everywhere with no luck, the hens all have single combs, I will attack pics of a rooster and hen

Attachments

• 251A5247-5814-460A-BA4F-3FF59B5B9D0D.jpeg
    251A5247-5814-460A-BA4F-3FF59B5B9D0D.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 38
  • B707E478-CE29-489F-972A-EFCC709B4069.jpeg
    B707E478-CE29-489F-972A-EFCC709B4069.jpeg
    679 KB · Views: 17
I agree so very cruel I had absolutely no heads up that he was denailed, he was in a crate and right before we left the woman just happened to mention it, I have never even heard of denailing until yesterday, the hens all have single combs, the second picture is hen first picture is roo

Could he be a Sumatra? They have combs like that I believe and not nearly as rare as svarthona. If the hens are Svarthona he could also be a cross between Svarthona and something with a rose/pea comb. And I agree with nuthatched ^^ I’m not sure what the point would be of taking the nails and leaving the spurs…

Could he be a Sumatra? They have combs like that I believe and not nearly as rare as svarthona. If the hens are Svarthona he could also be a cross between Svarthona and something with a rose/pea comb. And I agree with nuthatched ^^ I’m not sure what the point would be of taking the nails and leaving the spurs…
I am really not sure I couldn’t even find any information on denailing, that is why I was kind of thinking it might have been frost bite, very cruel but he has a loving home now regardless of his flaws, I was also told she got him from a breeder in USA and that he was Unrelated to the hens but as pure as they get, I am kicking myself for not looking at him better but they wanted less stress on them moving from crate to crate, thinking back now it all is giving me red flags

I don't know how you would tell frostbite from amputation, but it's missing a lot more than the nail.
Do you know why they would have to amputate? The roo is missing everything but spurs I don’t know if the pictures do it justice but they are just very little nubs left, the hens aren’t as bad they still have most of their nails just a couple missing, idk I just feel terrible for all of them

Back
Top Bottom