SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you..
sad news..... allll females
sad.png
not one boy i had a friend come and sex them for me..
one had dissapered and didnt know where she went two days no sioux so worried i had my daughter go under my cramped coop and look what she found along with sioux lol silly girl hiding eggs from me.
89080_ducks_013.jpg

YAY, I found the Swedish thread! My DH and I just got a Blue Swedish over the weekend. She's our first duck. My MIL has Mallards and Muscovies and I've enjoyed hearing their little noises that they make. Our gal quacks but not loudly. She's a fast little thing, took me a while to catch her, lol. She calmed down a little and when I put her down she wasn't as disturbed by my presence, lol. I'll post pics asap. I haven't had the opportunity to take any yet. I'm excited to have her and look forward to trying my first duck egg.
big_smile.png

Quote:
!!! YAY!!!!
love love love my sweeds!! youll love her!! my duck are laying better then my chickens!!! i keep telling my DH we should have started with these guys
tongue.png

i love noisiy bird i told my DM that i wanted peafowl... she went on and on about how annoying they are and i wouldnt beable to handle the noise..
Id have a whole flock full of roosters and a few hens if i could
tongue.png
i love it!!
im glad to hear shes getting use to you.. try to hand feed her once in a while so she knows your the "food person" and not the "evil person" lol ive found that feeding them at night and on a set time to eat (animals of habit) they start calling for me when i dont come out on time walk right up to me and talk to me got stright to there "coop" and i put the food in there dish..
good luck i hope you love your little addition as i do!! they are fun!
cant wait to see pictures!!!

Hehe, thanks for the exciting welcome. Here's the only pic, so far, I have of our Isabella. I'll share some more soon, I promise.
wink.png

I made her a little "house" today. Not as nice as the one I made for my MIL but it works for now. I plan to make her a nicer one asap. I'll get a pic of that too soon.
big_smile.png

70873_img_3182.jpg

well she is cute isnt she
smile.png

lol i sounded like i was hyped up on coffee
tongue.png

but i do love my duckies. ill be watching and waiting for more pictures
tongue.png

im getting more duck eggs in a few days, (not sweeds but duckies non the less)
im going to go buy a new incubator for the hatching..
im so excited!!

Cresting is a gene that can appear in (I believe) any duck breeds. I have seen in in swedish, buffs, campbells, pekins, cayugas, runners and rouens. It's caused by a ball of skin forming over a small hole in the skull and it is to be treated like the soft spot on a baby. I know that in showing in the crested class something a crested duck is judged on is placement of the crest.
The crest gene can double up if you breed two crested's together and many of the embryos will develop a hole that is too big in the skull and it will die before hatching as the chief problem, and that's why it's considered a "lethal gene." The crest gene is best bred from only one parent. When you hatch a clutch of crested eggs, you may get some crested and some normal ducklings, its just one of those things.

Tufted geese are different than crested ducks as their "tuft" is simply made up of feathers that stand up instead of laying flat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom