SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
I got ducks and chickens at the same time and just told hubby that I hate to say it but I might love my ducks more than my chickens. Most of my chickens don't have names. All the ducks do.

I got ducks and chickens at the same time and just told hubby that I hate to say it but I might love my ducks more than my chickens.  Most of my chickens don't have names.  All the ducks do.

OH OH! Duck Math strikes! I did that with Chickens (started out with 1 rooster, then he needed a gal, and then 15 more and .... now 50!) (Chicken Math!) and now I am fighting the same thing with my ducks. I just don't have a good place for them in the winter. These four are on one end of the chicken coop divided from the chickens. I hate losing that space I need for the chickens. I made a duck house (dog house) for the ducks but no power to it and hate to use extension cords for light/electric waterer. No real good place to fence in more yard for their own quarters. At least, that's what I'm telling myself, for now. ;)

Last edited:
OH OH! Duck Math strikes! I did that with Chickens (started out with 1 rooster, then he needed a gal, and then 15 more and .... now 50!) (Chicken Math!) and now I am fighting the same thing with my ducks. I just don't have a good place for them in the winter. These four are on one end of the chicken coop divided from the chickens. I hate losing that space I need for the chickens. I made a duck house (dog house) for the ducks but no power to it and hate to use extension cords for light/electric waterer. No real good place to fence in more yard for their own quarters. At least, that's what I'm telling myself, for now. ;)

So what are you doing for water in freezing temperatures?

So what are you doing for water in freezing temperatures?

I have electricity in the "chicken" coop so that's not a problem for the ducks who are on their end of the coop. I want the chicken coop to be a chicken coop but for now it is integrated housing. The ducks are in their own end with a barrier to keep them apart from the chickens. Looking into solar for the duck house so I can give my chickens their room back.

She is beautiful
love.gif

My chickens and ducks 'house' fine together. Now - during the day, they are all outside free ranging and go their separate ways but at night - they all come in and house together. I even have one Muscovy who roosts with the chickens! I primarily have Muscovy's but have 3 Blue Sweds. I must admit though - I enjoy my Muscovy much more - they are quiet, don't make a mess and are more friendly. But the blues are pretty but I don't plan on breeding them - mine are all for meat.

I originally came here trying to figure out which one of mine is a drake. I have three and two quack really loud and the third isn't as loud. I was hopeful that the sound difference may determine sex? They are all pretty much the same size - is there any distinguishing feature? I can easily tell the difference in Muscovy's but am having problems with the blues - I ordered mine from Ideal http://www.idealpoultry.com/assortment.html and got 1 blue, 3 black. one died and now there are three. But I will say - those three are FAR louder than my 25 Muscovy altogether! They are cute though and I know when they're around 'wank wank wank wank wank'

Connie

Back
Top Bottom