Swedish Flower Hen Thread

These birds are about 12 weeks old. They've been displaying, wings down, beak to beak at times, and their combs look rather large for such young birds...to me. Also the tail feathers growing long. I'm figuring they must be roosters but these are my 1st Swedish Flowering Hens, so I wanted to get the opinion of those more familiar with the breed. Thanks.

Those are two lovely cockerels!

Quote: I'm glad to see that you got at least one pullet out of the deal. How did the others turn out. The red/white seems to be really strong in my flock. I didn't hatch many this spring because of work, but I did get several blacks from the broody that I gave eggs to. I have one very similar to your little black in the photo with the brown frosting. The feathers on her back and neck are coming in really dark black, so I'm thinking that I may actually have one that will stay primarily black. The little black chick with the red Mohawk marking has turned a beautiful blue, and is beginning to get some creamy/buff color on her breast. I also got some beautiful birds from the egg swap with Dahlisgrams.

This photo is adorable. Swedish Flower Hen pullet with a Blue Swedish duckling. These two are always together, like they are best friends.

DSCN0552.jpg

No, the duckling does not have her head trapped in chicken wire. There was a fold in the wire from my 6 year old stepping over the wire to get into the pen. And actually, all the SFH except my blacks are now free ranging (!). The ducks are right with them. Love it.

Oh that is a beautiful pullet - I LOVE her coloring!!

These birds are about 12 weeks old. They've been displaying, wings down, beak to beak at times, and their combs look rather large for such young birds...to me. Also the tail feathers growing long. I'm figuring they must be roosters but these are my 1st Swedish Flowering Hens, so I wanted to get the opinion of those more familiar with the breed. Thanks.
Beautiful cockerels!

You must be within walking distance to me... I didn't know anyone else in East TN had SFH - great to know!

I have a friend who is looking for a Roo... she will be visiting the end of the July from OK.
PM me with details, age, source of genetics, and price and we can go from there... I may be able to keep them until then.

I need to go ahead and get rid of them to make room for some hens. I'm not sure the genetics. I got them from a fellow in Cleveland, TN who's name I probably shouldn't post, but I could find out. I think a co-worker of my wife's is going to take all three this weekend to a new home in N. GA. If that doesn't happen, I'll let you know. Just looked up your farm website. Looks great!

I need to go ahead and get rid of them to make room for some hens. I'm not sure the genetics. I got them from a fellow in Cleveland, TN who's name I probably shouldn't post, but I could find out. I think a co-worker of my wife's is going to take all three this weekend to a new home in N. GA. If that doesn't happen, I'll let you know. Just looked up your farm website. Looks great!
I'm near Dunlap. Might have a few more hatching in the next week if you need chicks....
I just sold a bunch of them, so am back down to just the adult stock.

Here's an old ad of mine with pics of parents: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/773547/swedish-flower-hen-and-lavender-ameraucana-chicks-se-tn

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom